Question New motherboards keep getting burned ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 5, 2023
I bought a Asus rog strix B550-f a few weeks back and was using it with a ryzen 5 2600 it worked fine for a few days put then the next day i turn my pc back on there came a little smoke from under the cpu cooler so the motherboard died,i took my old board b450 gaming plus put my ryzen 5 in there and every thing works fine i called the store and explained everything he said you are using an ryzen 5 2600 on a 5000 gen motherboard, so i ordered a new ryzen 7 5800x and a new B550-f motherboard worked fine for a few weeks and now again motherboard burned again and its dead. I don’t get it how is this possible, is my psu maybe bad? Is a few months old its a EVGA 850 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 850W PSU. Is it maybe because i use psu extension cables, i dont know

Specs
Ryzen 7 5800x
B550-f gaming asus
Corsair 8 GB DDR4-3200 Kit 4x
RTX 2070 8GB
EVGA 850 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 850W PSU
M.2 ssd samsung 2x

D

Deleted member 2947362

also before you fit the motherboard inspect the case for anything that may cause a short to the motherboard.

D

Deleted member 2947362

oh one more thing check the size of the screw heads and that they are not coming in contact with anything around the motherboards mount holes

same with the bottom of the motherboard make sure the mounts in the case are not coming in contact with anything on the motherboard that they shouldn't contact

D

Deleted member 2947362

I really hope their issue is resolved after this new build but the only downside is we still don't know what caused the issue :(

D

Deleted member 2947362

I asked the wrong person lol duh

I meant to ask you what's the brand and model of your PC case :D

I ask this because I just want a visual look at the design of the PC Case and it's motherboard mounting points?

Are they the normal brass or steel stand off's that normally come with the Case or some other design to mount the motherboard to the PC chassis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im now on my pc nothing happend yet 😅 any recommended softwares to test if everything is okay?
Right now...HWInfo64. Check voltages and temperatures.

You're especially interested in seeing what the +12V line is doing. Ideally, it should be very steady and very close to 12V... or around 11.4-12.6V while doing nothing. 10.8-13.2V when under extreme heavy load is OK, but not really what a modern PSU should do when working right so if you see excursions that far under extreme load you should really get a new/better one.

Also processor temperature: should be under 70C with no load, ideally well under 50C depending on your cooling. If voltage and idle temp are OK put a heavy processing load on it: Cinebench 20 is good. Temp should peak under 85C but up to 90C is possible if your cooling isn't very good at all.

Also: did you do a CMOS reset? if not, shut down, disconnect power and do that right now, before doing anything else. You can do it with removing the coin cell battery for a few minutes or shorting the pins....or both.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

The thing i notice now is that when I click on my power button it takes 1 to 2 to make it turn on there is like a delay
If it's working and performing as it should I wouldn't worry to much about it might be cold boot test or motherboard ram spd read/test/setting up I have no idea really lol but if it's working now just enjoy it until it stops working I guess.

The thing i notice now is that when I click on my power button it takes 1 to 2 to make it turn on there is like a delay
What do you mean turn on? It can sometimes take a while for the CPU to train memory before getting into Windows but that should be on initial bootup with subsequent boots much faster.

When it's booting up it should flash through the Q-LED's (four of them) one by one. Is it halting on one for a length of time? and if so which one is it? Check your manual for labeling (it's quite small), they should be next to the 24 pin power connector. I assume you have a Strix B550-F.

And did you reset CMOS? it's very important to do that for new install, and any time you change either CPU or memory configuration.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

What do you mean turn on? It can sometimes take a while for the CPU to train memory before getting into Windows but that should be on initial bootup with subsequent boots much faster.

When it's booting up it should flash through the Q-LED's (four of them) one by one. Is it halting on one for a length of time? and if so which one is it? Check your manual for labeling (it's quite small), they should be next to the 24 pin power connector. I assume you have a Strix B550-F.

And did you reset CMOS? it's very important to do that for new install, and any time you change either CPU or memory configuration.
This is a new build and the third motherboard hopefully it doesn't burn out because we still cant work out what burned out the other motherboards?

This is a new build and the third motherboard hopefully it doesn't burn out because we still cant work out what burned out the other motherboards?
That's true...but it's working right now.

I hope he at least checked the +12V line to make sure it's behaving right. If it's not, that's a great clue something's wrong in the PSU (like over-volting massively) or on the motherboard (draining power into a short).

D

Deleted member 2947362

That's true...but it's working right now.

I hope he at least checked the +12V line to make sure it's behaving right. If it's not, that's a great clue something's wrong in the PSU (like over-volting massively) or on the motherboard (draining power into a short).
yeah but apparently the psu worked fine on a different board b450 I think and I think they changed the PSU in the end anyway? you would have to look back at posts

Jun 5, 2023
Excellent choice. I'm really happy with my RM650X and RM550X: the 650 is driving an RX 6800 XT on a B550/5800X and the 550 is driving an RX 5700 XT on a B450/3700X. Both have performed perfectly, quietly and cool-ly.
I have one last question tho the day my motherboard burned it went like this, i was gaming for a few hours then a friend hit me up to go to the gym so i put my pc on sleed mode i came back then i click on my power button nothing happens and smelled something burned, what happend when i put my pc in sleep mode ????

D

Deleted member 2947362

I have one last question tho the day my motherboard burned it went like this, i was gaming for a few hours then a friend hit me up to go to the gym so i put my pc on sleed mode i came back then i click on my power button nothing happens and smelled something burned, what happend when i put my pc in sleep mode ????
I'm sure I have heard of something similar now you say that try googling it see what it comes up with ?