Question New MSI Project Zero motherboards; are they any good performance/reliability/compatibility wise?

Jan 11, 2024
So, Canada Computers is advertising this new motherboard series called Project Zero and from what I've heard, you can switch the cables to the back instead of the front so they aren't seen, which sounds pretty rad and authentic.

The only problem though is this: Are they good in terms of compatibility, reliability and performance? Are they top notch? I personally like the silver look to them and I may be thinking about getting one of the series myself; what I'm looking at in particular is the MSI Project Zero Z790 standard ATX board. However, this thread is about all of the Project Zero motherboards.

What do you guys think?

So, Canada Computers is advertising this new motherboard series called Project Zero and from what I've heard, you can switch the cables to the back instead of the front so they aren't seen, which sounds pretty rad and authentic.

The only problem though is this: Are they good in terms of compatibility, reliability and performance? Are they top notch? I personally like the silver look to them and I may be thinking about getting one of the series myself; what I'm looking at in particular is the MSI Project Zero Z790 standard ATX board. However, this thread is about all of the Project Zero motherboards.

What do you guys think?

wouldn't go near a msi board if you paid me most forums that ive helped on here have mainly been either msi related and my general experience as a user of 3 of there boards is there trash which is sad as they used to be good when asrock was bad now its a role reversal.

General_Cool

Distinguished
wouldn't go near a msi board if you paid me most forums that ive helped on here have mainly been either msi related and my general experience as a user of 3 of there boards is there trash which is sad as they used to be good when asrock was bad now its a role reversal.
I feel like its hit or miss for everyone. I've had nothing but horrible experiences with Asus motherboards, but all my Gigabyte boards have been pleasant. I feel like when I go online I read the exact opposite though. Still, I'd trust the numbers more than a one off opinion, and I do agree with you that the overwhelming majority of the time on these forums people are complaining about their MSI boards, but I rarely if ever see ASRock mentioned for being problematic.
What do you guys think?
I would be careful. Avoid the first generation of any brand new product unless you intend to be a bug fixer/test dummy. It seems cool in theory, but you should probably wait until its tried by other motherboard manufacturers first and gone through a few generations. There has to be a reason it hasn't been normalized in the multiple decades of PCs...

I feel like its hit or miss for everyone. I've had nothing but horrible experiences with Asus motherboards, but all my Gigabyte boards have been pleasant. I feel like when I go online I read the exact opposite though. Still, I'd trust the numbers more than a one off opinion, and I do agree with you that the overwhelming majority of the time on these forums people are complaining about their MSI boards, but I rarely if ever see ASRock mentioned for being problematic.

I would be careful. Avoid the first generation of any brand new product unless you intend to be a bug fixer/test dummy. It seems cool in theory, but you should probably wait until its tried by other motherboard manufacturers first and gone through a few generations. There has to be a reason it hasn't been normalized in the multiple decades of PCs...

very true with hit and miss
asrock had many issues with am3+ vrms not being able to take the wattage. they would overheat. they got better though.

my current asrock board ive used for 6 years has only just had a failed wifi module. apart from that the boards running fine with no issues.

msi have to me been always problematic. main issues usually steam from either just not recognising sticks in duel channel. thin pcbs that crack. or memory sticks being recognized but not able to access it.

ASUS I have had a few issues with fault fan pins giving them way to much voltage that was on a 970 am3+.

gigabyte make some decent boards ive rarely had issues apart from one instance of a b550 itx not able to boot properly.

i agree about the dont use the first of any new generation wait a few months or so after the reviews are out.