New Palit GTX460 Sonic Uses 2GB GDDR5

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
12% increase at 1080p is cool so will be waiting for TH to do a review on this card. Usually these higher than normal memory video cards from generic brands don't pan out though but hopefully it will this time around.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Not a bad looking card there. Wonder how much more the extra GB of ram adds to the price. Probably will be the best way to go for SLI, what with the extra ram and all.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
This is a simple marketing move, by the time this card needs 2GB ram at some arbitrary high resolution, it is already fill rate limited. So the extra ram won't do much good, if at all.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
It may not do much for gaming but it would be phenomenal using Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine. That is something which seems to be strictly hindered by available video memory. I almost bought a Palit GTX 460 on Monday but decided to wait a bit and am now glad that I did.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Bah, who cares about all these kiddie gamer video cards?? I use an ATI X1600 from 2006. Works perfectly, does everything I need it to. If I want to play games, I turn on my PS3.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I get it, for many this is just a marketing move. I respect this opinion but I now see this differently. I recently purchased a GPU based rendering software only works on Nvidia CUDA programing language on gamonig or Pro cards (OctaneRender). For this software the memory installed on the GPU is critical as this is the only memory the software uses. Two 2 GB 460 card are more appealing to me as I could use a combined none SLI 2 x 460 card setup for a total 670 CUDA cores and 2 GB of total memory for less than $600. The software is capable to use the combined CUDA cores power of 2 GPUs but the memory needs to load all resources on each GPU so It wont see a 4GB of total memory.

Also, I read some researchers using CUDA could use the 2GB memory on a gaming card as a cheap replacement for 4GB TESLA GPUs. I think this move is appealing to none gamers, but I can't say some gamers wont find this useful.

caspian21

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]12% increase at 1080p is cool so will be waiting for TH to do a review on this card. Usually these higher than normal memory video cards from generic brands don't pan out though but hopefully it will this time around.[/citation]

Actually Palit is not generic. They have large market penetration in Europe.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
How much gain over 1 GB version? I mean is the card even capable of utilizing that much memory? 2 GB 5870 doesn't seem to benefit much, so I doubt a GTX 460 will get any noticeable boost.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
[citation][nom]jazn1337[/nom]Makes me wonder if they're going to put VRM heatsinks on this time.[/citation]

Man you beat me to it...

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]duk3[/nom]I read it as a 12% performance increase over the 285 2gb.[/citation]
That's what I see as well. Doesn't really seem like a huge upgrade in its-self but that's 12% PLUS dx11 PLUS far better cuda PLUS 100% scaling if you do sli etc... None of those features alone would be worth the money, but combined.. I don't think it's a bad deal.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]caspian21[/nom]Actually Palit is not generic. They have large market penetration in Europe.[/citation]

Never heard of them, they don´t sell in most Western Europe.

G

I hope one day one company will release a GTX 460 with 3-way and 4-way SLI support. If it scales so well with 2-way SLI, I hope that it can scale as well beyond that.

palitusa

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]godnodog[/nom]Never heard of them, they don´t sell in most Western Europe.[/citation]

I hope you live in Europe when stating such thing. :)

Because we are no.1 discrete graphic card seller and brand in Europe unless you can name a brand that is no.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.