New Patriot SSDs Use Latest JMicron Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Does the latest JMicron controller fix their previous problems?

We can't call mechanical hard drives "antiquated" until they can be completely replaced by SSD's. Current SSD's don't have the pricing and/or capacity to build up much market share yet. For the most recent CAD machines I built I used VelociRaptors because our budget didn't allow a sufficient sized SSD to work as a proper boot drive.

G

Some points:
- 64 MB of DDR2 cache... seems like it's being used to avoid their stuttering problem rather than actually fixing the issue in the controller.
- Random Read/Write speeds are missing from this blurb, can we have one standard way of announcing new products that marketing guys can't weasel away from Sequential READ/WRITE MB/s Random READ/WRITE MB/s.
- JMicro has destroyed/tainted their brand name so completely with their earlier SSD controllers that it's doubtful if they can ever recover.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I know this reasoning isn't scientific or technical but just an observation:
Kingston's SSDNow V seriers uses the JMicron controller. On newegg these Kindgston SSDs are less expensive and are getting average 4 egg ratings while Patriot's previous (non-JMicron) SSDs are getting average ratings in the 2-3 egg range. I think maybe Patriot figured something out.

alextheblue

Distinguished
"Now available for purchase, the Zephyr SSDs are offered in three capacities: 64 GB, 128 GB, and 256 GB. Although all three models provide the same 240 MB/s read speeds, the 180 GB model only offers write speeds of up to 145 MB/s--the 64 GB version writes even slower at 85 MB/s."

180 GB model, do you mean 128 GB model?

Anyway, for all the people dismissing this drive ahead of time: I hate all the old Jmicron controllers as much as the next guy. But there is no reason to prejudge this controller, wait until get some extensive reviews. We could always use some more competition in this field.

As for the lack of random read/write speeds, I agree that sucks, but its not just this drive. A ton of SSD press releases omit this information. We'll just have to grumble about it until we get a proper review. Besides, if they did publish random speeds, would you trust the figure until someone like THG or AT tested it? :D

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Have you guys even been following SSD news? Jmicron hasn't had any issues in the past 2 generations....only the first generation had problems.

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Didn't Tom's recent roundup of SSD's show that the drives using the newer Jmicron controllers (JM61x) still have some performance issues? Not like the original fiasco, but still quite tangible...

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I'm quite disappointed with JMicron's products. I've had two motherboards of different brands using JMicron as an extra SATA controller and it doesn't work properly in neither of them. The JMicron based SSD disks I've seen in tests so far shows a performance that is inferior to other SSD models.

timbo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
It's the same controller Corsair Nova & Reactor series ssd's use.
BTW, the 618 controller in my Kingston ssd has presented me with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.