[SOLVED] New PC, able to install windows 10 but crashes and can't start afterwards

Mar 17, 2020
Hello,

I have a real strange issue that I can't seem to find a solution or a cause for the problem. Built a new PC and was able to boot up without a problem. Bios loaded, then installed a fresh windows 10 copy using USB boot. Then spent the next couple of hours installing the latest graphic drivers, motherboard drives, games and etc. Even played games for about an hour.

Then I tried to overclock the CPU a little as I've seen others overclock the new 1600 AF to 4.0 GHZ and higher. Didn't go much higher from 3.2ghz to 3.5 ghz and booted up fine. Tried 3.7ghz with a little bump in voltage and that's when it appears problems started. I was able to see the bios load and then after that, the computer stays on with fan running but the monitor turned off as it displayed the lost signal screen. Waited for a while to see if PC loaded but it didn't. So I restarted and same thing happens. Computer keeps running but monitor shows loss of signal. Then usually the windows automatic repair tool shows up to fix something, but never works. So I reset bios to default, removed all overclocking attempts, and restarted but still nothing no change.

Eventually installed windows 10 fresh from USB again. Went through installation fine and about 10 min in, same thing happens. Screen turns off as it displays loss of signal while the computer stays on, with fan running. Can't do anything so restart, and then same issue. Windows doesn't load after bios and monitor turns off due to loss of signal.

Went through windows re-install about 4 times now and all similar situations. About 10-20 minutes after windows installation, the monitor turns off due to loss of signal and computer is unresponsive.

Here are my computer specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 16000 AF (12nm)
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Pro4
Graphics: Geforce 1650 Super
Memory: G-skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200
HD; Crucial MX500 250GB SSD

Could it be an issue with the motherboard? But I don't seem to have an issue re-installing fresh windows... It just always keeps going non-responsive afterwards.
Ran Memtes86 to check RAM and it came out okay.
SSD Issue?

I'm at a loss here and I don't know what to check now. Any advice?

Last edited:
Solution
Final update:

It looks like it was an issue with a bad motherboard. Once I replaced it with a better motherboard, my computer booted and was able to successfully update nvidia graphic driver without the screen turning off and computer going unresponsive the middle of the installation.

Just in case anyone is having this issue and can't find a solution. I found dozens of posts where people were having the same issue as me but nobody followed up and posted what they did to fix it. It was frustrating to see what they did in the end. Did they fix it? return it?

So there you go. In my case, it was the bad mobo. I went through replacing the PSU, graphics card, RAM. Pretty much had tried everything but the motherboard and hard drive at this...

DankM

BANNED
Mar 8, 2020
Try running an older copy of windows? For example Windows 7 and Windows 8; Also try using a disk instead of a usb drive. Could be that the usb ports aren't capable of handling such iso files.(Usb 2.0/other) Maybe a part of your hardware doesn't support Windows 10.

Mar 17, 2020
Try running an older copy of windows? For example Windows 7 and Windows 8; Also try using a disk instead of a usb drive. Could be that the usb ports aren't capable of handling such iso files.(Usb 2.0/other) Maybe a part of your hardware doesn't support Windows 10.

Thanks DankM. I don't have any issues fully installing windows through the usb drive. I'm able to get past the installation and get as far as downloading firefox and start downloading drivers. Then usually it's around then the computer goes unresponsive.

Obviously you don't want to install Windows 7 or 8. This sounds like a heat issue. See what happens if you wait to let your CPU cool down, and then try to boot again and monitor the CPU temperature. If this works, check your CPU fan is properly positioned and flush against the CPU. You may also want to reinstall and paste your CPU.

Mar 17, 2020
Obviously you don't want to install Windows 7 or 8. This sounds like a heat issue. See what happens if you wait to let your CPU cool down, and then try to boot again and monitor the CPU temperature. If this works, check your CPU fan is properly positioned and flush against the CPU. You may also want to reinstall and paste your CPU.

Thanks onespeedbiker. I also did suspect temperatures so i've been looking at it in the bios. The CPU floats around 35 C and have not yet seen it exceed 40C. Motherboard is even lower at around 25-30C. I don't think it's heat at this point unfortunately.

DankM

BANNED
Mar 8, 2020
I kind of agree with onespeedbiker as you install the windows 10 iso file and then you start using it to the point where the power supply can't handle enough energy and somehow virtually breaks a part in the system that just detects as it needs to be repaired. It sounds like the fans are working pretty well though.

Mar 17, 2020
Hmmm a bad power supply, I can definitely look into that. I'll pick up another PSU from microcenter and see if that fixes things. I currently have the EVGA 500 BR, 80+ Bronze 500W one.

Is there any reason to suspect either the graphic card or motherboard going bad?

Tried resetting CMOS. Just did another fresh install of windows 10 and got as far as getting to the Nvidia website to download the latest graphics driver, but then went unresponsive again. god damn what in the world. Such a weird issue on this one has me stumped.

Thanks guys.

Mar 17, 2020
The graphics card doesn't play a huge role in this problem that i'm certain of. The motherboard is questionable but I am not exactly sure.

Gotcha. I'll first replace the power supply and see if that fixes things. If not, then it's got to be the motherboard. I can't think of anything else at this point.

I would go back in the case and reseat all the connections. Certainly a GPU can cause a similar problem, but it sounds more like the GPU is being denied power; again make sure you reseat the GPU and check the power connections. Otherwise it does seem to be a hardware issue.

Mar 17, 2020
What do you guys think is causing windows to not start after the first "unresponsive" issue after a fresh window installation? I would expect windows to start again after a force restart and have the same "unresponsive issue', but reality is windows doesn't even load. After a couple reboots, takes me to auto window repair and still doesn't fix things.

Typical Order:
  1. Able to boot from USB and get fresh install of windows completes.
  2. Have about 5-10 minutes of activity in windows before monitor loses connection while computer goes unresponsive.
  3. Force restart.
  4. Bios starts
  5. then after that, again monitor loses connection while computer goes unresponsive.
  6. rinse and repeat.

Mar 17, 2020
Just a quick update. I am now able to briefly get into windows. once I restart my computer twice after it hangs up after bios, Windows runs its automatic repair tool and I can restore it previous to fix it. However, I get the same "unresponsive" issue once I'm working in windows for about 30 seconds, and then it does it all over again. I have no problem keeping the computer up and running during bios setup screen and during the windows installation. Only happens once I'm done with installation and starting to work in windows os that this happens. Weird??

DankM

BANNED
Mar 8, 2020
I was sleeping as it was 1 am for me. You might need to reset cmos using jumpers on your motherboard. Maybe something was hooked in the wrong place.

Mar 17, 2020
Unfortunately don't have another CPU to test. I'm still planning on going out to buy a PSU, a better one this time, to see if that's the issue, but i'm not confident. Still trying everything else I can check.

Mar 17, 2020
Alright. Replaced the PSU with a new corsair CX550M power supply and it did not fix the issue. I reinstalled windows once the psu was installed, but again screen goes dark and computer goes unresponsive less than 5 minutes after windows loads. Requires multiple hard restarts before windows repair starts and stores previous setting to get into windows, which then goes dark again and repeat...

Mar 17, 2020
Alright. I think I am getting somewhere.

A couple hours back, I installed linux lime to test if other OS crashes my computer. I ran it and played around with it for an hour without any issues. Doesn't appear to be a hardware issue anymore.

Then I went ahead and reinstalled windows 10 and disabled updates like you said. I was able to stay in windows longer this time. I also left wifi off so windows couldn't download anything in the background. I downloaded the graphics/mobo drivers on my laptop and transferred them to the new PC. My PC was up and running for 10+ min! That's a first. Installed the mobo drivers and then... the issue came up in the middle of the graphic driver installation. Tried again after the next successful windows load and would you look at that, crashes again in the middle of the graphic driver install. Now, what's odd here is when I first booted up the PC after building it, I graphic driver installed fine and I was able to play games for about an hour, after attempting to overclock the cpu and having all this issue.

Right now, I'm typing this on my new PC. Been running for almost an hour now and I did everything EXCEPT installing the graphics driver.

Is there a workaround to installing a graphics driver that doesn't conflict with windows 10? Or is this a sign that the graphics card is bad.

Mar 17, 2020
I just tried installing the graphic driver again and crashed in the process. Great. I wonder what the issue is with the graphics driver. Is the graphics card bad?