Question New pc breadboard will not post, mobo ptoblem?

Aug 4, 2020
I currently have the cpu, heatsink and 2 ram sticks connected to the mobo. But it will not post or display.
I've gone through the list of possible issues:
-mobo taken out of case
-reseated ram in all slots (one ram at a time)
-reseated cpu (even switched HSF just in case it was too tight, idk if that would even help)

im working with a powerwatt 750W powersupply.
I'm not sure where to go from here, should I get a new mobo?

AMD Ryzen 5
cosair Vengance RAM 2*8gb
ASRock B450M pro4

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
its the ryzen 5 3600
and i currently dont have the gpu installed. Its just 2 the 2 ram sticks and the cpu and HSF

I don't know if it'll 'post' in that config - but it certainly won't provide a display out, there's nothing to provide that functionality with a 3600.

Also, you've confirmed that motherboard has had the BIOS updated to support 3000 series CPUs?

Reactions: pample_mousse12

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
B450 originally launched with 2000 series chips. A BIOS update is available for the board to support 3000, but unless the box specifically stated support for "Ryzen 3000 ready" (would either be a sticker or printed somewhere), or you can confirm the manufacture date was 2020 or later, chances are good that it doesn't have the appropriate BIOS installed to support your 3600.

Aug 4, 2020
On the mobo Box is says "Ryzen Desktop Series 3000 ready" though...

And sorry, if this I sound like a newbie, its my first build and its already making me stressed out so thanks for the help.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
On the mobo Box is says "Ryzen Desktop Series 3000 ready" though...

And sorry, if this I sound like a newbie, its my first build and its already making me stressed out so thanks for the help.

Ok, if it says that, then the BIOS has been updated to support the chip, so that's not the problem.

Do you have any GPU you could use to test the post? In all likelihood, that's the only issue you have here - the system can't/won't post/display without some sort of dedicated GPU installed.

Aug 4, 2020
I have the gpu, ram, cpu and heat sink. Everything is powered on but still no display, beeps or post.

Looking at the newegg reviews from August 2019 for the mobo, it seems like it's not Ryzen 3000 ready (despite the sticker), and I may need to update the bios.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I have the gpu, ram, cpu and heat sink. Everything is powered on but still no display, beeps or post.

Looking at the newegg reviews from August 2019 for the mobo, it seems like it's not Ryzen 3000 ready (despite the sticker), and I may need to update the bios.

If it has the sticker, it certainly should be updated already.

Please post your full, detailed system specs.

bignastyid

Titan
its the ryzen 5 3600
and i currently dont have the gpu installed. Its just 2 the 2 ram sticks and the cpu and HSF
A GPU is required to post, the r5 3600 has no igpu so the ports on the motherboard are useless. You will need to add a gpu to complete post on the system or further troubleshoot if it still fails to post with a gpu added.

Aug 4, 2020
A GPU is required to post, the r5 3600 has no igpu so the ports on the motherboard are useless. You will need to add a gpu to complete post on the system or further troubleshoot if it still fails to post with a gpu added.

The gpu is added, it spins and lights up. But still no post. I plugged in the hdmi into the mobo itself and in the gpu to see any difference, still no display. And I am on the right source on the monitor and everything is plugged in correctly.

Aug 4, 2020
I GOT IT TO WORK*

I called the manufacturer for the mobo, and turns out I was supposed to use the other slot for the graphics cards!!!

It posts and shows the correct RAM, CPU and everything.
Thanks everybody, I'm glad my first build worked, just took a phone call :)

Reactions: Barty1884