Question New PC Build and I think it's underperforming

Aug 26, 2024
Pretty sure my system is underperforming (based on the specs and comparison to other people with similar specs). I built it myself (first time) and I'm not sure if I've done everything correctly.

Pulling like 30 fps on Overwatch and Valorant at Low Settings. Also, weird issue where my mouse stutters about sometimes. Thought it was the USB cables on the motherboard itself so I tried reconnecting but still nothing.

Here are specs:

MOBO - msi pro b550m-vc wifi

3 fans (two in the front and one in the back)

CPU Cooler - thermaltake frozen notte

RAM - 32gb ddr4 3200mhz

PSUPPLY - 850w gold standard fully mod

GPU - RTX 3050 6gb gddr6

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x 16thread 8core

Storage is just a standard 1tb ssd nvme

Please help :)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
RTX 3050 6GB is not equivalent to the RTX 3050 8GB so your comparisons may be off. The clock speed is much lower and it only has a 96bit bus vs the 128bit bus of the 8GB version.

Though you should still be getting decent performance in Overwatch on low, what resolution are you running?

As always with a new build, check your temperatures. If the CPU is overheating, could easily explain poor performance and stuttering.

I would say if you still have time to return things. Send in the 5800X and get a 5700X, and spend a little more on the GPU.

While I applaud thinking ahead with the large power supply, probably cost you a good chunk of your cost as well, so you might be able to save a bit with a 650W PSU since you are looking at lighter GPUs right now.

Aug 26, 2024
RTX 3050 6GB is not equivalent to the RTX 3050 8GB so your comparisons may be off. The clock speed is much lower and it only has a 96bit bus vs the 128bit bus of the 8GB version.

Though you should still be getting decent performance in Overwatch on low, what resolution are you running?

As always with a new build, check your temperatures. If the CPU is overheating, could easily explain poor performance and stuttering.

I would say if you still have time to return things. Send in the 5800X and get a 5700X, and spend a little more on the GPU.

While I applaud thinking ahead with the large power supply, probably cost you a good chunk of your cost as well, so you might be able to save a bit with a 650W PSU since you are looking at lighter GPUs right now.
Thank you this was really helpful. Received some advice and I think the GPU is garbage so I'm going to replace it. Do you think that the CPU is alright though? I have a 1080p resolution monitor at 144hz. So that's where I'm trying to keep the games at.

Aug 26, 2024

logainofhades

Titan
Was your windows installation media the most current version available from Microsoft's media creation tool? An old install version can cause issues. I had that happen after building a 3700x rig when it was released. My install version was so old that my system was basically unusable until I wiped the drive and installed the latest version at the time.