Build Advice New PC build help for Maya Animation performance

CosmicBaconn

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
I’m going to be working on a few 3D animation projects in Maya for the next couple of months, and I was looking to upgrade my pc to handle that. Currently some of the characters I am animating are running at less than one FPS, due to the complexity of the rigs, and my pc can’t keep up. I do a bit of gaming too, but my priority when looking for this upgrade is to handle Maya animation (not rendering), as well as things like video editing in Premiere.

My pc was built around 2012, and has the original CPU, mobo and RAM from back then.
The current specs are here:
  • I7-3820 @ 3.8Ghz
  • Gigabyte X79-UD3
  • 16GB RAM (DDR3 I think)
  • Samsung SSD EVO 1TB
  • Toshiba 2TB HDD
  • Phanteks Eclipse P400S chassis
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W
  • GTX 980Ti 6GB
I was thinking of upgrading to the Ryzen 3900X, along with the X570-E mobo (as well as possibly more RAM). But I would love to hear your feedback on these components and/or suggestions for what might work better around the same price range as these are roughly.

Additional question: I haven’t been using my pc for any intense processing, nor gaming with max settings lately, but am concerned my case doesn’t have enough cooling in place for when I do (currently only the back has fans on it, with slots available at the top for more). If there are any suggestions for reasonably priced cooling options please send them through as well.

Edit:
Location - Brisbane, Australia
Budget - AUD $1000-$1200 roughly

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
We could use more info from you. Where are you located, how much can you spend for your system upgrade(s) and what is your preferred site for purchase?

Look for DDR4-3200MHz rams, at the very least, dual channel and at least 32(since 16GB would be gobbled up with the apps you're looking to run). How old is that PSU? If you're not going for a multi GPU setup or need the additional PCIe slots on the board, might as well look at a smaller board, like matx or mitx/mini-dtx.

You would see a benefit with the upgrade but please keep in mind to backup your critical data prior to the upgrade since you're going to have to reinstall the OS after the upgrade is complete.

Reactions: CosmicBaconn

CosmicBaconn

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
I'm in Brisbane, Australia and don't really have any preferred website. I have just been browsing on ebay as it has cheaper prices with discounts currently on the site. Budget-wise, I had a rough figure of AUD $1000-1200 for upgrades, but that isn't concrete.

As for the PSU, I bought that new in 2016, and haven't had any trouble with it. I wasn't planning on having multi-GPUs either, so that could work having a smaller board, however the chassis I purchased about 1 year ago and probably wouldn't be looking into a new one.