[SOLVED] New PC build - System crashes/freezes when launching games. PLEASE HELP!!

Sep 5, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I just finished by new PC build, I am experiencing an issue and would really appreciate any help.

So every time I launch a game it will run for 3-5 minutes before complete freezing/crashing with a loud buzz/noise straight into my headphones. I then am forced to hard reboot the system. It seems to only effect more intensive games. I have run vanilla minecraft for instance perfectly fine but once I load shaders the system will crash after a few minutes. The system was running Minecraft with shaders earlier yesterday until I decided to enable DOCP, and then the crashes came. I then proceeded to disable it, and also loaded the default settings ram is back to default 2666mhz and still no luck. I then updated the BIOS and cleared the CMOS... the system is still crashes.

My temps on CPU and GPU side are both fine. I have no XMP/DOCP profiles on have run meatiest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic with no errors. I have no overclocks of any kind. Windows is up to date, Nvidia Drivers are up to date. I have updated all drives from ASUS armory crate (chip set, sound card, wifi, ect.). I have tried reinstalling windows multiple times as well. I have tried re seating the RAM, running with only one stick of ram. I am really stumped and would

System:
Motherboard: Asus ROG strix B550-i
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
GPU: Asus TUF 3080 ti
RAM: Trident NEO 64GB -3600mhz -F4 3600C18D-64GTZN
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum
Cooling : EK-280mm AIO

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you so much!

Solution
Hello Everyone,

I just finished by new PC build, I am experiencing an issue and would really appreciate any help.

So every time I launch a game it will run for 3-5 minutes before complete freezing/crashing with a loud buzz/noise straight into my headphones. I then am forced to hard reboot the system. It seems to only effect more intensive games. I have run vanilla minecraft for instance perfectly fine but once I load shaders the system will crash after a few minutes. The system was running Minecraft with shaders earlier yesterday until I decided to enable DOCP, and then the crashes came. I then proceeded to disable it, and also loaded the default settings ram is back to default 2666mhz and still no luck. I then updated the BIOS...
Hello Everyone,

So every time I launch a game it will run for 3-5 minutes before complete freezing/crashing with a loud buzz/noise straight into my headphones. I then am forced to hard reboot the system. It seems to only effect more intensive games. I have run vanilla minecraft for instance perfectly fine but once I load shaders the system will crash after a few minutes. The system was running Minecraft with shaders earlier yesterday until I decided to enable DOCP, and then the crashes came. I then proceeded to disable it, and also loaded the default settings ram is back to default 2666mhz and still no luck. I then updated the BIOS and cleared the CMOS... the system is still crashes.

My temps on CPU and GPU side are both fine. I have no XMP/DOCP profiles on have run meatiest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic with no errors. I have no overclocks of any kind. Windows is up to date, Nvidia Drivers are up to date. I have updated all drives from ASUS armory crate (chip set, sound card, wifi, ect.). I have tried reinstalling windows multiple times as well. I have tried re seating the RAM, running with only one stick of ram. I am really stumped and would

System:
Motherboard: Asus ROG strix B550-i
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900x
GPU: Asus TUF 3080 ti
RAM: Trident NEO 64GB -3600mhz -F4 3600C18D-64GTZN
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
PSU: Corsair SF750 Platinum
Cooling : EK-280mm AIO

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you so much!
did you plugged all the psu cables correctly? also is the ram on slot 2 and 4? tried to replug all the aio cable and the pcie cables?

Make sure the PCIe cables goes like this:
download.axd

1 cable (The first end, not the branch/split from the main head) for 1 pcie power pin slot.

Solution
Sep 5, 2021
did you plugged all the psu cables correctly? also is the ram on slot 2 and 4? tried to replug all the aio cable and the pcie cables?

Make sure the PCIe cables goes like this:
download.axd

1 cable (The first end, not the branch/split from the main head) for 1 pcie power pin slot.

This might be the problem! I have 1 cable attached to my GPU from the PSU that has a dual PCIE 6x2 pin connectors. I assumed I could use the one cable and connect both 6x2 pins into the GPU. So I would need to have another separate dual 6x2 pin into the power supply? Sorry but why does this cable have two PCEI connectors if it can't be used this way?

This might be the problem! I have 1 cable attached to my GPU from the PSU that has a dual PCIE 6x2 pin connectors. I assumed I could use the one cable and connect both 6x2 pins into the GPU. So I would need to have another separate dual 6x2 pin into the power supply? Sorry but why does this cable have two PCEI connectors if it can't be used this way?
Because simply that the split/branch PCIe slot cable couldn't supply enough current to the card, It is been known that using 1 cable only would not supply enough current since the past, and RTX 3000 series need good current over 2 pcie cables (it has been a thing again since 3000 series launch).

Sep 5, 2021
So I just tried this and the crash is still happening. Just to be clear I want to connect 2 separate PCIe 6+2 cables connecting all 16 connections into the GPU the diagram appears to only use 6. Do I not connect the +2?

So I just tried this and the crash is still happening. Just to be clear I want to connect 2 separate PCIe 6+2 cables connecting all 16 connections into the GPU the diagram appears to only use 6. Do I not connect the +2?
it does connect +2, what does the diagram means is using 1 main cable per slot (6+2 main cable) rather than using 1 cable for 2 slot.

Also try this after replugging the cables to the correct arrangement from the diagram:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall the driver using DDU
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 24 on yours) like this:
unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot)
  • boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, and go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced power plan.
  • Install the latest nvidia driver.
  • And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any.
*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, so make sure you downloaded the file needed on the word that i highlight, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP, make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021
it does connect +2, what does the diagram means is using 1 main cable per slot (6+2 main cable) rather than using 1 cable for 2 slot.

Also try this after replugging the cables to the correct arrangement from the diagram:
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 24 on yours) like this:
unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios(download, extract the files and copy it to flashdrive, plug it on top rear usb slot)
  • boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot, and go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced power plan.
*do this all offline until reboot after installing amd chipset driver, so make sure you downloaded the file needed on the word that i highlight, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP, make sure your ram is on slot 2 and 4.

Thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it so much!

One question, is it possible to accidentally swap the +2 connection? Does this matter? On my PCIe cable they are kind of free floating and can easily be connected to either of the 6 pins. IF so how do I know which +2 goes with which? Also I will try what you have mentioned above. Thank you!

Thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it so much!

One question, is it possible to accidentally swap the +2 connection? Does this matter? On my PCIe cable they are kind of free floating and can easily be connected to either of the 6 pins. IF so how do I know which +2 goes with which? Also I will try what you have mentioned above. Thank you!
Try to determine which is the first 6+2 cable, then it would be the main cable, usually the +2 cable is allocated near the first 6pin cable. I dont have that PSU but im pretty sure that you undertand your cables, the thing is, aim for the first/main cable 6pin and you'll know which +2 to use.

Also for the steps after doing the cable arrangement, do it stem by step in order (from disconnecting internet until amd chipset driver install and reboot).

Sep 5, 2021

unknown.png

Thank you for the detail step my step explanation I have followed your instructions one problem is after installing the chipset drivers for my motherboard, but there is no AMD Ryzen Balance only normal balanced. I have now updated Nvidia drivers and updated windows. I have also downloaded the processor drivers.... and I think that is where the Powerplan maybe

Thank you for the detail step my step explanation I have followed your instructions one problem is after installing the chipset drivers for my motherboard, but there is no AMD Ryzen Balance only normal balanced. I have now updated Nvidia drivers and updated windows. I have also downloaded the processor drivers.... and I think that is where the Powerplan maybe
i forgot that amd ryzen power plan is no more for 5000 series, so yea just chipset drivers.

It actually lasted much longer before it crashed again...😧 such a tease.... I thought for sure it had been resolved!
The last thing to do is test it with another psu, and use the other parts on another motherboard.
If using another PSU and it doesn't crash = psu problems
If using another motherboard and it doesn't crash = mobo problems
If using another motherboard, swapped every part except gpu = could be gpu problems

Try to disable AMD Cool n quiet while you're using PBO.

It's kinda hard to determine if hardware causes thhe crash without having separate pc to test one by one :(

Sep 5, 2021
i forgot that amd ryzen power plan is no more for 5000 series, so yea just chipset drivers.

The last thing to do is test it with another psu, and use the other parts on another motherboard.
If using another PSU and it doesn't crash = psu problems
If using another motherboard and it doesn't crash = mobo problems
If using another motherboard, swapped every part except gpu = could be gpu problems

Try to disable AMD Cool n quiet while you're using PBO.

It's kinda hard to determine if hardware causes thhe crash without having separate pc to test one by one :(
Alrighty well I still appreciate your help here, you were way more helpful than ASUS support. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to try to help me. I think I will try going to my friend house tomorrow to see if i can swap out my PSU and other parts. Thanks again