Question New PC Build won’t stay powered on? Bad CPU?

Jan 15, 2024
Hello. Please bare with me here as I am now desperate and borderline ready to return everything and get a laptop.

Here is what I am running
CPU -i913900k (Swapped once)
MOBO -MSI Z790 EDGE WiFi DDR5 (swapped once)
RAM DDR5 -Corsair Vengeance 32GB
SSD -Samsung 990 2 TB Gen 4
PSU -850W Corsair (just got to test prior psu)
GPU -AMD Radeon 7700xt
Bios was updated to latest version.

The pc will stay in bios indefinitely and will never cut off randomly. If I can get into windows 11, and open up (GTA 5M) then it’ll stay on. If I turn on the pc like normal, it’ll usually boot cycle several times.

As I try to idle or do homework, the pc then turns off like as if I unplugged the PC then will boot cycle.

I caught this error once

“Memory Overclock Fail!

Previous overclock settings failed, system boot with default setting and placed previous settings in BIOS menu Press F1 to run setup.

Press F2 to load default values and continue.

Press ALT#L to load Last known good configuration values and continue”

I also see in even viewer the critical error is event 41. Which is when the system is rebooted without cleanly shutting down.

Prior to event ID 41 there are the kernal processor power event 55 errors taking place.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024
Update your BIOS and set it to default settings. Turn all memory overclocks off. Run memtest. If you’re still having RAM issues test the sticks individually. If one has issues, RMA.
I have updated bios, set default, idk where the over clock setting for memory is however. I did do memory test and had no issues.

I have updated bios, set default, idk where the over clock setting for memory is however. I did do memory test and had no issues.
WHAT "memory test" did you do?

What is the EXACT model of your memory kit and did ALL of your sticks come together in one kit or were they separately purchased DIMMs, regardless of whether they are the same part number or not?

What CPU cooler are you running? Yes, it might be VERY relevant to a variety of seemingly memory related issues.

Jan 15, 2024
I solved the problem by returning the junky msi mobo and going with Asus. No issues, installed windows and it was plug and play. If anyone has issues like this out the box just get a new mobo.

I solved the problem by returning the junky msi mobo and going with Asus. No issues, installed windows and it was plug and play. If anyone has issues like this out the box just get a new mobo.
Well, I'm sorry to be contradictory, but not everybody with "issues like this" is going to have the same problem OR the same solution. If you changed boards, you don't even know that YOUR problem was the board. It could very well have been a bent pin from a careless installation of the CPU, or an improperly installed CPU cooler that was too tight or too loose in one area than another causing it to ACT like it was a bent pin, which in turn can absolutely cause it to seem like a memory issue. Or any of ten other things, none of which might be the motherboard for some other person.

So, glad you got your issue sorted, but anybody's sample of one is never enough to just say "this will be YOUR problem too".