Question New PC Build: Won't boot up, red light on motherboard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JDPC

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Just finished my build and I'm sure that I've done everything correctly. Connected every thing and tried to boot it up but nothing comes up on the monitor and there's a solid red light (CPU led) on the motherboard.

Please help!

Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0
AMD FX 6300
Corsair XMS3 2x2gb
XFX Pro 650w

Last edited by a moderator:

JDPC

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Not yet. The RAM says it's designed specifically to support the Intel Core i5 and Core i7 dual channel memory DDR3 solutions...I guess this is a problem

No that doesn't mean anything. It is NOT the RAM. That RAM is perfectly fine for your setup. That is just marketing BS they put on the box.

JDPC

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Ok, I'll do what"ModernWarfare" said and remove the mobo battery and reinstall it try that if it doesn't work I'll check the CPU for bent pins.
Thanks everyone! Let you known tomorrow if it works or if the problem continues... :)

Could be a bent or missing cPU pin. Could be your CPU cooler not being tight enough. I know this sounds weird, but I have seen many instances with this board and the Intel version where this problem was remedied with the proper amount of thermal paste (some people add too much and it leaks over the side of the CPU), and tightening down the CPU cooler as tight as possible. Really wrench it down.

JDPC

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I tightened the cpu cooler not really tight but a decent tightness but I can move it a bit still. I put a thin layer of thermal paste spread with a credit card. Can't see any thermal paste overflowing..

DO NOT spread thermalpaste. ALWAYS put a single pea sized dot in the middle and let the cooler squish it down when you install it. You have created many air bubbles by spreading. This won't solve your issue, but I would fix it as people have fixed this issue by reinstalling the CPU and cooler.

Hey if you can try this. try removing the thermal paste you made with rubbing alcohol and add a pea/dot sized drop DO NOT PAINT THE CPU THE HEATSINK WILL DO IT ITSELF after that re-seat cooler nice and tight power it up and tell us how it goes if you can. someone had a similar problem due to too much thermal paste.

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014

Not every time. Some MOBs are very picky.