Question New PC Build: Won't boot up, red light on motherboard

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JDPC

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
Just finished my build and I'm sure that I've done everything correctly. Connected every thing and tried to boot it up but nothing comes up on the monitor and there's a solid red light (CPU led) on the motherboard.

Please help!

Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0
AMD FX 6300
Corsair XMS3 2x2gb
XFX Pro 650w

Last edited by a moderator:

Nathan Willis

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Make sure the CPU, RAM, GPU, ETC are all seated right.
Trying blowing out the DIMM slots. Also, the PCI-E and x16/8.
Thermal past has nothing to do with not posting.
A computer can run without thermal paste. It is silly, but people do it.
Do make sure it did not get on other components or under the CPU though.

You are wrong about the thermal paste thing. Plenty of people use too much and it leaks down the side of the CPU causing issues. I have fixed these problems many times. NEVER EVER run a PC without it, but it can definitely cause issues when applied incorrectly.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
As Modernwarfare said check your cable connections again especially the CPU 4 or 4+4 connection. I had them connected wrong once and everything spun up but PC did same thing. Even though thet fit in the socket the way you have them take them out again and make sure they aligned correctly. I know they should fit in the correct way but somehow mine plugged in and seemed to fit plugged incorrectly.

Nathan A Thompson

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

Upvoted this because people do not do their homework, and it saddens me how many people don't know how forward compatible RAM is...