new pc build won't boot with gpu installed but when taken out, the pc works fine.

th3jc0n

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
i just built my new desktop yesterday but when we finished and tried booting it up and the screen is black when connected to either a monitor or TV. no indication of booting occurs but the fans are running on the gtx 1080 and its plugged into the power supply with a 6 and 8 pin connecters. there's no light indicating a problem on the motherboard. We took out the card and the desktop works fine and is running. is there any opinions to see if the gpu is dead or its just a booting from in the software? any solutions that might work?

my specs are

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm (CW-9060025-WW)

Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB CC-9011098-WW Steel / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E500B/AM

MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2 110-B2-0750-VR 80+ BRONZE 750W Semi Modular Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power ...

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model ...

Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor

Solution

Incorrect drivers could cause a problem, Out of date drivers would not. But this would limit functionality not stop the display. In one of these scenarios the display might come up in VGA mode (640x480) or something similar, but the screen would not be black.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Are you plugging the monitor cable into the new GPU (this is the correct one) or leaving it connected to the motherboard? Sorry I know this sounds stupid but more than once this has been the issue for posters here.

Other than that, did you go into the BIOS before installing the GPU and checking the settings for how it displays? If it is set to only onboard graphics and you install a GPU it won't know to use it. Mine has an auto setting and will use my GPU if it is present, else it goes to onboard graphics.

Check that your GPU had power connectors and they were firmly seated?
Was the card all the way down in the slot?
What was your BIOS setting for which graphics adapter to use set to?
Was your cable in the onboard or the add-on card?

th3jc0n

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
I tried plugging it into both, same result, black screen. and where would that setting be located? its my first gaming desktop so all this stuff is a little new, I know how to access the msi boot up thing that has all these different setting.

It varies from PC to PC. On my home PC I press either f1 or f2 (don't recall, so I mash both alternately). I think MSI is the DELETE key. On others it can be f11, f12 or the ESC key. It should display during boot up.

Then navigate to where the video is changed (again varies, just click around or google it).
Here is a guide which purports to be for MSI boards.
https://itstillworks.com/disable-builtin-vga-card-msi-8353.html

You can re-set your BIOS back to default with a jumper on the motherboard if needed. But the above is required to make your video card work.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Based on what you said earlier, it sounds like the setting in BIOS is correct. If it was set to onboard only, you would still get a picture when plugged into the motherboard even with the GPU installed. Let me take a look at your setup again and get back to you.

th3jc0n

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
when I get back from class, ill try what you guys recommended, I really hope it works. btw could out of date drivers be a cause? it came up in my research

Incorrect drivers could cause a problem, Out of date drivers would not. But this would limit functionality not stop the display. In one of these scenarios the display might come up in VGA mode (640x480) or something similar, but the screen would not be black.

Solution

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Drivers are unlikely but could be an issue. I would make sure it is installed properly first (all power connectors plugged in). If that doesn't work you can try booting without the GPU installed, then install the drivers, then shut down and install the GPU.