ziggsta

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Not a huge gamer but play every once in awhile I mainly convert and burn movies so I need alot of storage possibly 2 or 3 terabyte's. Over all just a insanely speedy computer with overclocking potential. Also I need a case that keeps everything super cool. Budget I would say is 2K is my budget and if I need to go over let me know.

Here is somewhat of what Im thinking.

Core 17 920 one step down from the extreme

12 gb of ram

3 1 terabyte hd in raid 0

some video card maybe 5870

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Well if you want everything super cool, then look into high end cases from antec, coolermaster, lian-li...etc

-What is your monitor resolution aswell as monitor quantity?
-Which games/apps do you run?
-What are your expectations for speed/fps in games/apps?
-Do you want to Xfire/SLI in the future?
-Which Operating System(s) do you want to run?
-What kind of overclocking do you want?...minor, Xtreme?
-Which components do you want to overclock? Motherboard,cpu,ram,gpu?
-Which retailer would you like to purchase from?

Look at some of these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/search.php?s=%242000

Case / PSU - Antec 1200 / CP-850 $270ish

MoBo - ASUS P6X58D $300ish

CPU - i7-920 $280ish

Memory - 3 x 2GB is all ya need. DDR1600 for it's OC ability, no need to go higher unless you looking for 5 Ghz +. Lowest CAS # you can afford,.....$180ish for CAS7

Hard Drives - Check out the performance charts and pick whatever 500 GB per platter drive performs best under your usage patterns. The WD Black 2 TB is a good choice but at smaller capacities, you are limited to the Seagate 7200.12 or the Spinpoint F3. The 7200.12 excels in gaming, multimedia and pictures whereas the F3 wins at music and movie maker. See the comparisons here (copy past link in manually, link won't work in forum):

(http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-3.5-desktop-hard-drive-charts/compare,1006.html?prod[2371]=on&prod[2770]=on)

$240ish for three 1 TB models

Optical - Plextor Model PX-B320SA Blue Ray Reader / DVD Writer w/LS OEM $130ish

GFX - Plug ya budget in here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2521.html

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I'm kind of unsure why you'd want to do 3x 1 TB in RAID 0. Yes, you'll get faster writes while converting, but unless you're taking backups, if any one of those disks fails, you lose everything.

With a $2k budget, and you're not heavily gaming, you could get a 2 TB drive for storage and an SSD for your boot drive. Or drop $500ish on a home NAS solution, perhaps.

ziggsta

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I really go on the internet download and then burn movies. Right now when ever I feel like it I play Left for dead and Diablo 3 when it comes out so I need a good card. Pretty much I just want to get a desktop throw it all together and have it last a couple of years. Over clocking I would like to overclock the CPU and Ram to get more speed so I need the best case for cooling.