[SOLVED] New PC freezes in a weird way

Feb 23, 2022
Hey there!

I bought all my parts brand new and built my PC in late October. I've had this problem since the beginning, I thought I'd eventually sort it out but I haven't yet.

My specs are:
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, 6C/12T, 3.70-4.60GHz
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-3600
GPU MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G OC, 12GB GDDR6, HDMI, 3x DP
SYSTEM Windows 10 Pro
MB ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II

The issue that I've been having is that my PC will freeze while idle, browsing through Opera or do some work with word. However it works great and has never crashed while I'm playing games. And also when a game is running in the backround nothing crashes. It happens also more often when my PC is running and I leave it for about 15 minutes, afterwards when I come back most of the time everything seems to work fine but then it freezes in a weird way.

When frozen I can still move my mouse, and if I hover over something it shows the little graphic that I've hovered over it. I can move the windows of programs around the screen but I can't exit or minimize. I'm not able to ctrl + alt + delete or esc, I can't open task manager. I can't shut down through the start menu. The only thing I can do is shut it off by pressing the power button on the PC.

All my drivers are up to date and when I troubleshoot it doesn't detect any issues. I've seen a couple threads on here where people describe the same problems I'm having but they are on older PCs so I thought I'd make my own post.

Please help! Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 23, 2022
Hinted by paul2121....
4007 is an early BIOS and there have been many revisions since then. 4702 (11 feb 2022) "may" have stability improvements so you might want to consider a BIOS update.
https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-ii-model/helpdesk_bios

Also, dodgy PSUs can have all sorts of symptoms, see if you can borrow a PSU to test.
Alright I will update it.
My PSU is a Corsair RM Series RM850 2019, 850W ATX 2.52, but I will try to get another one to test it out.

TRENDING THREADS