New PC full setup

dfemory10

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Newegg wishlist:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=12280087&WishListTitle=PC
I realize a couple items are sold out but don't plan on starting until early/mid august. And there are some combo savings and rebates that don't show up on wishlists so should be less than $1400, trying to keep it under $1500.

Ive done a little research into what would make a good computer with a strong price/performance. I'm wondering if this system will work out well for my needs, and if everything will sync in the end.

I game a little, but don't care about running max settings. I need pretty much everything because my last system is pretty old so I can't exactly scavenge for older parts if i want a modern PC. I would like whatever system I get/build to last for quite a while and plan on going SLI/Crossfire to try to keep up with games later on in this computers life.

I chose a headset since I will be living in an apartment and figure I'll use the home theater to annoy the neighbors, plus it saves some room. Also, I am fairly certain i will need to use a wireless network to connect this computer since placement of the cable outlet is inconvenient to where I want the computer.

There is one more thing. I dont know what OS to use. Ive never used Vista before, is it a good time to try it out? And should I go ahead and use a 64-bit version like Vista home premium 64bit OEM?

I built a system a long time ago around summer 2000 and had a horrible experience, hopefully this goes better.

Thanks for your help in advance!

dfemory10

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I just noticed the wish list had some items deleted from it for some reason. It was the motherboard, videocard, and powersupply. They are the ASUS 4850 card and ASUS P5Q Pro mobo, going for the combo deal. I couldnt find the old powersupply so theres a new one up.

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Save urself some money and get some 800 ram instead of the 1066. 800 ram with good timings will run ALMOST just as good as the 1066. Or you could put the money you saved into a better MOBO. Since you said you were thinking of doing crossfire in the future, look at a MOBO with 2 x16 PCI Express slots. The one you have selected will run at 16 and 8 only. The x48 boards are a good choice.