[SOLVED] New PC half crashes? Semi Crash? Soft Crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syffe

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
Hello All,

I recently, did some part upgrades to my old pc. I went from Intel to AMD. My current PC specs are: Ryzen 5 5600x, Corsair H100iv2 (from old pc), Aorus x570 Elite ATX, 32gb G-Skill Triden Z, EVGA GTX 1080 (from old pc), EVGA 850w SuperNova PSU (also from old pc), and a fresh install of windows on a (new drive) Samsung 970 NVME drive. Windows version 20H2.

NOTE: No overclocks have been made. Only change is enabling XMP in the BIOS for my full ram speed of 3600.

I originally had a weird issue as soon as I flashed the BIOS after I built the system where it would power on, but not post. After I moved the computer to a different location, as a friend was coming over to test parts using his pc, it powered on and everything worked. I was able to install windows as normal.

Since windows has been installed, randomly my pc will soft crash? Half crash? It's hard to describe what happens, but I'll do my best. When it happens, only noticed it happens so far when watching YouTube, but the video will act like it's buffering but it's not. Then I typically open task manager to see if my parts are at 100% usage, which they're not. I'll close the window and the icon on the task bar will disappear, but the underline will remain there as if it's still open. I can switch tabs and hover my mouse over items and it'll highlight as if it knows my mouse is there, but I can't click on anything. I can open the start menu, but can't type anything or click anything. If I'm in discord with friends, I can still hear them, but they can't hear me. I can't even click the message box to type them a message saying that my PC crashed. Ultimately I have to do a hard shut down to get my pc back up and running.

What I've tested so far:
-Latest Aorus bios version (version F31)
-Latest chipset driver
-Full memory test (passed 0 issues)
-15 minute CPU stress test (no issues, max temp was 65c)
-15 minute GPU stress test (no issues, max temp was 70c - 72c)
- Disabled Nvidia High Def Audio device in Device Manager

I can't pin point what could cause this problem. It's possible that my PSU could be on it's way out, but I wanted to make this thread in case others have experienced this too. Before I pull the trigger on a new PSU.

Thank you for the help!

Dec 16, 2020
Hmm could be many things! First thing that come to mind is some faulty driver or software.. Do you use any overlays? Like discord, steam, origin and all that. You can try disabling hardware acceleration in your browser and in discord, see if anything happens

Syffe

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
Hmm could be many things! First thing that come to mind is some faulty driver or software.. Do you use any overlays? Like discord, steam, origin and all that. You can try disabling hardware acceleration in your browser and in discord, see if anything happens

By overlays, what do you mean? Like in game overlays for discord? I'm afraid I'm not following. I will try disabling hardware acceleration in both though.

Dec 16, 2020
By overlays, what do you mean? Like in game overlays for discord? I'm afraid I'm not following. I will try disabling hardware acceleration in both though.
Yeah thats it, was just a thought. They have been known to cause some problems in the past, and I reckon you want to eliminate as much as possible atm

Syffe

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
Yeah thats it, was just a thought. They have been known to cause some problems in the past, and I reckon you want to eliminate as much as possible atm

I don't use in game overlays for discord. So far today, there hasn't been a crash yet. Before I disabled Nvidia High Def device, it was crashing once a day. After I disabled it, I made it about 5 days without a crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.