Question New PC is not performing as well as I though it would, reason why?

Jsamzldn

Prominent
Jul 9, 2023
Hey, so I recently (start of August 2024) bought some parts to upgrade my prebuilt PC, although the performance has been underwhelming, and to an extent worse than my old PC, is there a reason why this could be the case, or a fix?

Old build

New build

In terms of the performance, I'm not satisfied by when I play my FPS games the editing software (Insights) I used before the change does not perform as it should. I kept gradually increasing the bitrate, until it hit 50,000kbps which is the maximum amount, the FPS is 60, and resolution is set to 1080p, although I changed to source to see if it would change as I use a 1440p monitor. It just stutters every second or so, which doesn't make the clip look nice at all :/

When I play games like Valorant, Wuthering Waves, The First Descendant, the PC gets really hot, understandably so, but my old PC didn't used to get this hot. It has switched off a few times before of the heat (I assume), which is a little annoying in the middle of playing as AFK bans are a thing, or when I'm talking to friends. It does push out enough power to run The First Descendant at max graphics, which I was completely unable to do on my old setup, but the drawbacks are intense too. Watching a discord stream and playing a game definitely affects my performance and overall PC running visibly, it lags and stutters, which I feel like it really should not be...? Idk, just not too convinced that my PC is performing as good as it should be. Please let me know if I am just horribly wrong.

I'm a little unsure what other specs to post here, so please let me know if I need to show something!

file:///C:/Program%20Files/HWiNFO64/JS.HTM - HWinFO stats, unsure how else to post it through the link

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Did you reinstall Windows on your new build? It is recommended doing so, transfering OS from one system to another is a good way to create problems with mash of driver entries in the registry.

Heatsink should be plenty to keep cpu cool, if it is getting hot then that would be another reason for poor performance and the cooler may not be on correctly or not enough tension. How much paste did you use?

Sharing links directly from computer won't work. Need to take a screenshot of Hwinfo and use image hosting service like Imgur and then link here.

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Jsamzldn

Prominent
Jul 9, 2023
Did you reinstall Windows on your new build? It is recommended doing so, transfering OS from one system to another is a good way to create problems with mash of driver entries in the registry.

Heatsink should be plenty to keep cpu cool, if it is getting hot then that would be another reason for poor performance and the cooler may not be on correctly or not enough tension. How much paste did you use?

Sharing links directly from computer won't work. Need to take a screenshot of Hwinfo and use image hosting service like Imgur and then link here.
Hi, yeah I bought windows again as my last one was locked to that.

I reapplied the paste again as it has been an issue from when I first build it but it still gets quite hot, no changes there.

HWinFO64 Stats

Jsamzldn

Prominent
Jul 9, 2023
Can't see cpu temps there. Use Core Temp.

Alright see if temperature is the issue, set maximum processor state in advanced power management in Windows to 99%. You'll lose a good chunk of turbo but this just to see if performance stabilises.
I've made the change, and it seems to not be as hot when I tried a game for a little, but will have to test it more when I have time over a longer duration as I normally would play, and see how it affects the clipping too, if at all. Unsure why that was affected at all. It's being encoded by the GPU, is there a way to know if your GPU is not maxing or performing as it should be?

Jsamzldn

Prominent
Jul 9, 2023
Sorry what do you mean by clipping?

Graphics card get it's instructions/ frames from cpu so yeah if cpu isn't performing will affect the graphics card.
Sorry, so when I play FPS games, I use clipping software to clip highlights from my gameplay alongside it. But the clips are no longer smooth anymore no matter what settings I use for it, so can only think the issue could be the CPU / GPU.

Jsamzldn

Prominent
Jul 9, 2023
Is the clipping software you mentioned in your op U5 Insights? Not familiar with it.
Yeah, it's called Insights Capture, it's just a clipping software like Medal, OBS and the other ones. No matter the settings I use for it, it just stutters in the clips and they're not exactly smooth.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, it's called Insights Capture, it's just a clipping software like Medal, OBS and the other ones. No matter the settings I use for it, it just stutters in the clips and they're not exactly smooth.

Might not be temp related, doesn't help obviously but might not be directly related. Searching around came across this thread and specific reply im linking. Anything in common here?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/s/8bmF4giMhE

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
When your software is recording parts of a game, where is it sending it too? In the link to your new build, I see only one drive listed & if that's the case, there is your problem. That drive is working ubber fast & overloaded hence why the stuttering in your game.
In your old build, there are 2 drives listed, I'm willing to bet you had the game on one drive & the OS on the other?