[SOLVED] New PC is starting to run slow?

May 1, 2019
Hey guys, I recently built a PC and I'm really glad how it turned out. I will include the details of my computer below but recently I can't understand why it's running slow, I'm not that great at understand computers but after doing so much research, I couldn't find out what was going wrong with my computer.

Here's what I have tried:
  • Running antivirus scans and general maintenance
  • Updated drivers
  • Defragged and used CCleaner
  • Removed most programs from running on startup
  • Battery is set to High Performance rather than Power Saver.
I'm not sure why it is running slow, I've installed some programs but it's quite a new build but I'll include my specs of my computer now.
AMD Ryzen 3700X
16 GB RAM (2 x 8 GB)
480GB Kingston A400
4TB Seagate BarraCuda
480GB Corsair MP510, M.2
Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Windows 10

Sorry for any poor understand but I'm willing to download programs or anything of the sort if it would help you understand the situation a bit better. It is quite a new build so I'm not sure what is going on but thank you in advance!

May 1, 2019
Your CPU is getting 1,45V, and it is running far from its base clock. This is due to SenseMI, try disabling it from the bios.
What will happen once I disable this SenseMI?

I'm just wondering as the computer used to run everything almost instantly but all of a sudden it started slowing down. I don't think this would be the main cause but I wouldn't mind trying it. I would like to know what it is and what would happen once I disable it, if that's okay.

May 1, 2019
Hey I was wondering if anyone might know what is going on or maybe refer me to something. Someone said that it could potentionally be a virus on my computer that the antivirus couldn't find but I'm not sure. Didn't know if anyone had some ideas or stages I could do!

I don't know that much about computers or how to work them well just to let you know in advance :)

May 1, 2019
Thought I would give it a bit of time before posting again but in addition to the steps that I have taken above, I have also fully reset the PC and removed all files. Anyone know common problems or maybe a simple fix I'm overlooking?

I tried looking at YouTube videos, browsing multiple forums but I can't seem to find out what's wrong. I'm not good with computers so I'm not sure what to look for.

May 1, 2019
What exactly is running slow? All programs open slowly, it boots slowly, are you talking about games, what exactly? How slow are you talking about, in exact numbers?
Thanks for the reply. The booting speed seems normal but then again, I'm not sure as it usually doesn't take too long. When the PC is on, programs, general tasks like moving folders and gaming can occassionally run quite slow.

When I first started using my PC, everything was super fast but now every now and again I would say it can go anywhere from 10%-50% of it's original speed. I know that's quite a difference but it varies each time.

lynx1021

Distinguished
You did not answer rgd1101 question on SSD usage. How full is your SSD? Also your CPU voltage is too high like post number 4 said. It should be about 1.25>1.3 volts. Some boards run it too high.
Also you DO NOT DEFRAG A SOLID STATE DRIVE! IT WILL MESS THEM UP! CC Cleaner has be associated with malware on some versions and never clean your registry. Do you have Defender turned on or are you using another antivir?

Last edited:
May 1, 2019
You did not answer rgd1101 question on SSD usage. How full is your SSD? Also your CPU voltage is too high like post number 4 said. It should be about 1.25>1.3 volts. Some boards run it too high.
Also you DO NOT DEFRAG A SOLID STATE DRIVE! IT WILL MESS THEM UP! CC Cleaner has be associated with malware on some versions and never clean your registry. Do you have Defender turned on or are you using another antivir?
As it is a new PC, none of the usage is above 20%. Yeah I saw that he mentioned that I should disable SenseMI but I didn't get a response regarding what will actually happen once I disable this and if this is necessary. I did some research in regards to the BIOS and the video that I watched mentioned that changing values in the BIOS isn't going to damage the system as long as you're not silly, it's the voltage that you need to be careful with. So I haven't touched it as I don't want anything breaking and at the time, I had no idea what the volt value should be.

My Windows Defender is always turned on and currently the only antivirus software I have installed is Malware Bytes.

Thanks for the information regarding the defrag and CC Cleaner, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

D

Deleted member 14196

Your first mistake was installing Norton. I would completely uninstall it and just use the built-in windows defender

That pig will destroy the performance of any PC

I recommend a full clean install of windows do not install Norton or any other antivirus software. Makwarebytes is fine

Don’t do a reset those are useless do a full clean install of windows and then don’t add garbage software

Also do not run stupid utilities like C cleaner

Reactions: lynx1021
May 1, 2019
Your first mistake was installing Norton. I would completely uninstall it and just use the built-in windows defender

That pig will destroy the performance of any PC

I recommend a full clean install of windows do not install Norton or any other antivirus software. Makwarebytes is fine

Don’t do a reset those are useless do a full clean install of windows and then don’t add garbage software

Also do not run stupid utilities like C cleaner
Unfortunately Norton wasn't the issue as I installed Norton after a week or two after the PC started to slow down. My dad had an additional copy of Norton as he purchased a version for multiple devices, so I thought to give it a shot. I'll take your advice and keep away from it though.

One of my friends built the PC so I'm not sure how to do a full clean install of windows, I can always do some research.

The only software that I downloaded are the bare essentials, Spotify, standard games and Adobe products (Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro).

what the motherboard?
latest bios?
latest chipset driver?
Motherboard: TUF Gaming X570-PLUS
Bios: American Megatrends Inc, 0406, 15/06/ 2019
Chipset: AMD Chipset Driver - 19.10.22

It says that the BIOS and the Chipset Driver are up to date.

May 1, 2019
I'll try doing a full clean install of windows and update all drivers from the official Manufacturers and Companies and I'll let you know how that goes. Thank you for all your help!

May 1, 2019
After following a few guides on doing the full clean install of windows, I found the Media Creation Tool but I got as far as choosing a version, Windows 10 Enterprise wasn't there (As that is the version I have currently). Is there a way around this or is there another process for the version that I have.

May 1, 2019
if you have enterprise. contact where you get windows 10 from.
Unfortunately the person who helped build this PC is a friend of my dad. All I know is that he had to buy a full liscened version as there wasn't any other way around it, I can try getting in touch with him but it could be difficult as they both work different shifts. I can guess this is going to make things difficult.

May 1, 2019
After some time, I got a USB from him and he mentioned that my Windows was outdated. So I should be all up to date and good to go. When I go onto Device Manager and Windows update, it says everything is up to date. I'll have to do some tests over the weekend or over the next week to see if that has made any real difference. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out so far.