Question [new PC] Monitor goes randomly black while PC still running. Unable to "wake it up"

anon7mous

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
My system: (Brand new):
Monitor: Acer Nitro XV272UP
Motherboard: Asus TUF x570 plus with Wi Fi updated to newest bios 1.2
CPU: Ryzen 3700X
GPU: Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT
PSU: Corsair RMx 650 W
Windows 10 (up to date)

The Problem:
So this happens completely randomly (mostly while I'm in desktop) my screen goes black and my PC is still running but unresponsive. After like half a minute I can start hearing my clicks or apps but the screen remains black. After the initial black screen everything freezes but after a while the PC resumes (at least the audio and the controls) but the monitor has no signal. This hasn't happened once while I was gaming, only when I'm idle, browsing or watching something. I have no idea what I have to do to cause this freeze on purpose, it's totally random.

What I've tried:
  1. Updating all drivers to recommended versions (including bios). Had no effect at all.
  2. Stress testing CPU and GPU - everything is fine, the noise and the temps are normal. I used furmark and prime95
  3. Unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in. I want to note that my monitor came with only 1 HDMI cable and my graphics card has only one slot that supports "that" type of a HDMI cable. So basically I couldn't connect anything wrong cause there is only one way of doing it
  4. Turning sleep mode off and on. This had no effect. The PC and monitor both wake up normally from sleep mode
It's really frustrating that this is happening like 2 days after I've built my PC. I don't even know where to start looking for the cause of this problem. Are there any logs or diagnostics tools that I might run to find the root of this thing?
Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

UPDATE 1
I am looking at my event viewer and trying to find crash logs. I'm not sure which ones I should be looking at because I didn't look at the time when the crashes happened but I believe that the crash log stating "Faulting application name: LightingService.exe, version: 0.0.0.0" is repeating itself around the same time when I get these black screens. Next time I experience a crash I will immediately go to the event viewer.

Last edited:

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Have you tried settings those 2 to Never?
kKAgsKF.png

anon7mous

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I just had the problem again and I checked the event viewer. There are multiple different problems but almost all of them have to do something with drivers.

1. "Critical Level. The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 4 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem. User-mode Driver problems. Task Category: User-Mode Driver Problems"

2. Critical Level: ""A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices." - Task Category: User-Mode Driver Problems"

3. Error Level. "The AMD External Events Utility service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"

4. Error Level. "A timeout was reached (45000 milliseconds) while waiting for the AMD External Events Utility service to connect"

5. Error Level. "Audit events have been dropped by the transport. 0"

6. Error Level. "Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package Microsoft.NET.Native.Framework.1.3_1.3.24211.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe for user FRACTAL\Nino (current status = 0x0, desired status = 0x20)"

7... And there are like 100x of warnings: "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\DR4 during a paging operation."

Should I take this to windows forums or make another post?

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Some of these errors are not really related to your issue but i will try to fix them all and point out on the important ones to have the least issues.

No.1 If your PC is freezing or restarting by its own then this error is causing it. mostly due to headset problem. let me know if that's the case so i fix it as it's a bit long process.
No.2 This one is important, issue may occur due to corrupt Windows files or infection like malware. To fix it, you need to run system file checker..refer to this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system (note any file that's infected should be deleted so there is a potential for data loss)
No.3 Caused by your AMD Driver, only if you're experiencing any flickering in-game, turn off Freesync within AMD display settings. (Not related to your main problem)
No.4 No.5 are very related. follow this:
Step 1:
a. Press Windows Key + X.
b. Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)

Note:
Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for UAC (User Account Control).
c. Type following commands into the command prompt one after the other

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc

Keep Command Prompt window opened.

Step 2:

Rename Windows Update folders

At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Then type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command:

net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptsvc

Close the command prompt window.
No.6 Is harmelss as it is Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime and won't be a cause for your problem.

Hope this helps.

Ash

Reactions: anon7mous

anon7mous

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Some of these errors are not really related to your issue but i will try to fix them all and point out on the important ones to have the least issues.

No.1 If your PC is freezing or restarting by its own then this error is causing it. mostly due to headset problem. let me know if that's the case so i fix it as it's a bit long process.
No.2 This one is important, issue may occur due to corrupt Windows files or infection like malware. To fix it, you need to run system file checker..refer to this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system (note any file that's infected should be deleted so there is a potential for data loss)
No.3 Caused by your AMD Driver, only if you're experiencing any flickering in-game, turn off Freesync within AMD display settings. (Not related to your main problem)
No.4 No.5 are very related. follow this:
Step 1:
a. Press Windows Key + X.
b. Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)

Note:
Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for UAC (User Account Control).
c. Type following commands into the command prompt one after the other

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc

Keep Command Prompt window opened.

Step 2:

Rename Windows Update folders

At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command:
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 Catroot2.old
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

Then type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command:

net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptsvc

Close the command prompt window.
No.6 Is harmelss as it is Microsoft.NET.Native.Runtime and won't be a cause for your problem.

Hope this helps.

Ash
Sorry for replying late and thanks for taking the time to comment. I did all sorts of things and I came to a conclusion that the 5700xt is the problem. The drivers are unstable. I had a ton of errors related to AMD drivers and I tried all sorts of driver versions and even reinstalling my windows but nothing helps.
I'll be returning my card and getting a 2070super