[SOLVED] New PC . MY COOLING is good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 18, 2019
Hi I have a new PC, and my CPU heat about 60 C when I start the pc.
I'm not sure if my build is good I would like to hear your opinion.
This is what I got right now :
View: https://imgur.com/z4yf1xZ

This is what i thought to change to:
View: https://imgur.com/F5JC0Pe

My gear :
CPU : AMD RYZEN 3700X
CPU Cooler: AMD PRIZMA (stock)
RAM :16x2 Crosair 3200MHZ
Graphic Card: GIGABYTE 2070 XTREME
Case : Sharkoon Pure Steel

I was thinking to change to CPU cooler to this options:
noctua NH-U12A (throw the air to the side , 15.8 cm Height )
noctua NH-D14 (throw the air to the side , 15.8 cm Height )
be quiet CPU cooler dark rock tf (throw the air to the window . 13cm Height )

My case limit is 16 cm. what do you think the best option for me ?

I am video editor and use a lot the Adobe Suit.
I live in hot place about 40-42C in the summer .
I need your help to get best cooling for my computer.

*Liquid cooling its not option.

Reactions: gameoverman2016
Solution
I did list specific models, I'll put them here again.
Noctua NH-U12A (throw the air to the side, 15.8 cm Height )
Noctua NH-D14 (throw the air to the side, 15.8 cm Height )
be quiet CPU cooler dark rock tf (throw the air to the window . 13cm Height )
ah, i didn't notice them in your original post.

i would go for the be quiet! Dark Rock 4 + get a another 120mm Silent Wings 3 fan to attach. besides being a great cooler, the black on black will look many times better with the rest of your system.
i would actually go for the Dark Rock 4 Pro, but there's a risk it's a few mm too tall for your case.

the Noctua NH U12A is also an awesome choice. the color is the only thing that always kept me away from Noctua in the...
Jun 18, 2019
Amd and Intel are competition. They've been arguing for far too many years as to which way is better. Intel settled on performance over temps, if the cpu says 4.4GHz turbo, that's what you get, but you better have a good cooler or temps skyrocket into the 90's. So naturally AMD does it backwards to that design and favor temps over performance. The 3700x Will boost to 4.4GHz, if you have the cooler for it, if you don't, when temps hit above 70ish, you get 4.3GHz. If temps would hit 80ish, it'll only boost to 4.2GHz etc. Intel doesn't care if you cook the cpu, AMD does.

So if you get temps of 80ish with the Prism, you're likely about 4.1-4.2 GHz. The Noctua NH U12S is a superior cooler and when seeing temps of 80ish,your cpu is more likely at 4.3-4.4GHz instead.

It's a different way of looking at things. AMD will continue boosting upto maximum as long as temps are OK, Intel will downclock if temps are not ok (ok according to Intel, not you)
Thanks I got your point

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly negagive/positive pressure is pretty much a fallacy.

A fan blade moving through air creates a low pressure area directly behind it, the byproduct being air forced away from the blade. Spin it fast enough and you get the intake/draw side and exhaust side of the fan. The draw is strongest closer to the blades, but one characteristic is that the draw is easiest from a higher pressure area. For a rear exhaust, that tends to be any open fan vents, the area around the fan that's not sealed, the pcie slots at the back etc. The front intake fans are far enough away that there's very little pressure, if any.

This means that with lower rpm at idle, you'll have a more negative system and at higher rpm a positive system, regardless of actual cfm. A fan at low rpm doesn't move much air, very low cfm and pressure.

The other consideration being that a pc isn't sealed, there's plenty of gaps, grills, cracks etc and this allows pressure equalization inside the case from outside. It'd take sealing up the case fully to prevent that from happening. It's why a rear/top rear fans setup is more effective for flow than just rear, unless there's no fan slot, like the Meshify C or R5/6 with the top on. Open fan slots next to other exhaust fans destroy actual flow at lower rpm.