Question New PC screen going black and restarting randomly during gaming

lackingstriker

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015
Hi, I recently built my first computer and everything has mostly been fine with it. I noticed randomly during gaming my screen goes black and after a couple of minutes restarts.

I think it's an issue with drivers as I used the old SSD from my old rig as the boot drive. I see now most people online recommend starting completely fresh to avoid incompatibility issues.

My question is would doing the 'Reset This PC' option in the Windows recovery option be akin to freshly installing Windows from a USB drive?

I've kept an eye on the temperatures of the GPU and they seem average. The problem also happened when the temperature was low so I don't think it's related to that.
I've tried using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled the latest ones and the problem still persists.
I have also noticed the BIOS for the motherboard is dated last August. I haven't updated it to the latest and not sure if I should.

So would it be best to do the Reset This PC option and would it be the same as a fresh install?

PC: https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/user/lackingstriker/saved/#view=BjFXf7

Thanks.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hi, I recently built my first computer and everything has mostly been fine with it. I noticed randomly during gaming my screen goes black and after a couple of minutes restarts.

I think it's an issue with drivers as I used the old SSD from my old rig as the boot drive. I see now most people online recommend starting completely fresh to avoid incompatibility issues.

My question is would doing the 'Reset This PC' option in the Windows recovery option be akin to freshly installing Windows from a USB drive?

I've kept an eye on the temperatures of the GPU and they seem average. The problem also happened when the temperature was low so I don't think it's related to that.
I've tried using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled the latest ones and the problem still persists.
I have also noticed the BIOS for the motherboard is dated last August. I haven't updated it to the latest and not sure if I should.

So would it be best to do the Reset This PC option and would it be the same as a fresh install?

PC: https://ie.pcpartpicker.com/user/lackingstriker/saved/#view=BjFXf7

Thanks.
Resetting your PC lets you perform a clean reinstallation and update of Windows while keeping your personal data and most Windows settings intact. In some cases, a clean installation may improve your device's performance, security, browsing experience, and battery life.

lackingstriker

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015
Resetting your PC lets you perform a clean reinstallation and update of Windows while keeping your personal data and most Windows settings intact. In some cases, a clean installation may improve your device's performance, security, browsing experience, and battery life.
Do you think it would fix the problem though? Like the compatibility issues from an old system to a new one.

If the OS was working without issues in the old PC, and again in the new one, it means the compatible drivers with the new system were auto installed during the first boot in the new system, except for the video driver which is displaying black screens, due to the driver having issued. All you have to do is install the latest driver update and that should take care of the only apparent issue it's having.

I would first try solving the video issue before taking drastic measures such as a Reset which should reinstall the OS, installing the correct Microsoft drivers included in the Windows installer.. but why go through all that to reinstall all drivers already working, and a Microsoft video driver which you shouldn't want?

The blank display means video driver issues, and what you need to do first of all, is download and execute the driver installer; GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

Another option is to insert the DVD which was enclosed with the video card, and allow it to Auto Play and install the video driver but the driver may already be outdated.

BTW I don't trust using driver installers like DDU, because they don't always find outdated drivers, and you never know what they installed or skipped... and telling from the way the display goes blank, the application obviously failed there.

Last edited:
Reactions: lackingstriker
D

Deleted member 2838871

I mean already looked a lot online. The reason I asked here is to ask if the reset is equivalent to a fresh install that most tutorials tell you to do on finishing a PC from a USB drive.

I wouldn't have carried over the old SSD without reformatting and starting with a fresh install. I did that on my recent build and have had zero issues.

The few hours I spent reinstalling software is much better than compatibility headaches or other issues with hardware changes. It's all avoided with a fresh install.

Reactions: lackingstriker

lackingstriker

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015
If the OS was working without issues in the old PC, and again in the new one, it means the compatible drivers with the new system were auto installed during the first boot in the new system, except for the video driver which is displaying black screens, due to the driver having issued. All you have to do is install the latest driver update and that should take care of the only apparent issue it's having.

I would first try solving the video issue before taking drastic measures such as a Reset which should reinstall the OS, installing the correct Microsoft drivers included in the Windows installer.. but why go through all that to reinstall all drivers already working, and a Microsoft video driver which you shouldn't want?

The blank display means video driver issues, and what you need to do first of all, is download and execute the driver installer; GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

Another option is to insert the DVD which was enclosed with the video card, and allow it to Auto Play and install the video driver but the driver may already be outdated.

BTW I don't trust using driver installers like DDU, because they don't always find outdated drivers, and you never know what they installed or skipped... and telling from the way the display goes blank, the application obviously failed there.
Yeah forgot to mention in the post but I installed the latest drivers whilst deleting the old one in Device Manager. Still seems to be conflicting with the old drivers even after using DDU which didn't work as you said.

I don't have a DVD player in the pc either so not sure what to do with the disk.

I have other problems with the system randomly trying to boot onto my M.2 drive that only has games on it too and I think it's also a compatibility issue as I have to boot with CSM turned on with boot override to select the right drive randomly. So that's why I think maybe resetting the PC and starting fresh as I should've originally done might be the best idea.

lackingstriker

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015
I wouldn't have carried over the old SSD without reformatting and starting with a fresh install. I did that on my recent build and have had zero issues.

The few hours I spent reinstalling software is much better than compatibility headaches or other issues with hardware changes. It's all avoided with a fresh install.
Yeah, I didn't think about the compatibility issues as everything else seemed to run fine until a bit after. It's why I think I'll do the reset option and hopefully, it does the same job.

lackingstriker

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015
Well, I completely fresh installed Windows and updated all my BIOS successfully. After about the same duration of gaming on Valorant the issue happened again, weirdly it only stayed on the black screen for a second instead of being stuck on it and instantly restarted. I looked into my Event Viewer and it had an error of:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116​

Installed all the latest drivers also. Not sure what to problem is now.

Reactions: Sebar
Sep 1, 2023
me facing same issue, after finding solution on internet i disabled my gaming monitor Freesync feature, it was interfearing with my RTX 3060 to smooth out frames, mine problem solved if it helps you do tell...