Question New pc setup freezes when gaming

Jun 16, 2020
Hi, this is a rather complicated issue to explain - sorry in advance!

I've recently switched out my MOBO, CPU and RAM in my pc, and while everything else seems to run fine, it will freeze when i do demanding tasks like play AAA games etc. The pc will not have any problems with playing old, less demanding games.
I've switched the PSU, and reinstalled Windows, which didn't solve the issue. Also, the temperatures all seems fine with both HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner.
I've used FurMark stresstest for the GPU for testing, and it will freeze after about 3-5 minutes each time.
I've been using Prime95 for testing the CPU, and it has been running for about 2h without failure.

This led me to believe that the fault was on the GPU, but a friend of mine told me to try and take out a ramstick and see if it worked - which it did. So, then we tried out different combinations, with using the ram in different ram-slots (I am positive that I installed the ram correctly, as well). Ultimately we found out that both ramsticks worked fine, at that there was no issue with the ram-slots in the motherboard. After some google reading, we tried going into the BIOS, and switching the RAM Frequency settings from "auto" to a fixed setting of "2666MHz", which match the factory settings of the ram. This solved the issue, with FurMark now running for 45 minutes without failure.
When I thought we'd fixed the problem, I took it home, played PUBG for about 1h and had the freeze once again.

My thoughts now: no doubt, changing the BIOS settings have made the system more stabile, but still not completely. So, since I've heard that the Ryzen CPUs need good ram - are my RAM just not good enough?

This is my spec:
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x
MOBO: Asus b450-f Gaming
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz 2x8gb
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6gb
PSU: Corsair rm750x

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Edit:
Ran FurMark for 2h straight, without any problems.
Afterwards I ran Memtest twice. First time, after about 11 mins, my screen went black for about 30 sec - then it went back to normal (no restart or anything), and the computer shut down Memtest and Task Manager automatically. Second time, after about 15 mins, my desktop had gone to sleep mode, and when I tried logging back in, it froze and I had to manually restart.

Last edited: