Question New PC stopped posting

Jan 10, 2024
Hi! I built my first PC yesterday with the following specs:

- CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D
- Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 2x16GB (CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K)
- SSD: Samsung 990 Pro 2TB
- PSU: Corsair RM850e
- CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken 240

Everything worked fine when turning on the PC for the first time, it booted on the first try and I installed Windows 10 along with all the recommended drivers with no problems. I then tried to install Windows updates, and it prompted me to restart the PC to finish installing the updates. After the PC stopped it did not boot anymore (No Signal on the monitor), and the motherboard had the DRAM LED on, while all the fans and RGB were on. Nothing happened for ~30 minutes, then after powering it off and on again it got in the same state. Then I tried to connect the monitor using DisplayPort to my iGPU (previously I was using the HDMI cable), and this time it boots up with all of the updates installed correctly, all the components recognized correctly.

Today I powered the PC on, everything was working fine. I installed Windows 11 along with the latest BIOS version (previously I was on the last stable version which was 3 months old). Then after all this I notice that one of my RAM sticks was not displaying the correct RGB. I went into Corsair iCUE to try to fix it, but only 1 ram stick was showing up. Booting into the BIOS, indeed only 1 RAM stick was being recognized (they are installed as suggested in the motherboard's manual, A2 and B2 slots, only A2 was being recognized). Then I switched the two sticks around and this time only the one in B2 was being recognized (the one that was also recognized before). I tried to install a few different BIOS versions and tried to clear CMOS (both by unplugging the battery and by shorting JBAT1 using a screwdriver. Still, only the one RAM stick was being recognized. Then after going through a few forum posts someone suggests that enabling and then disabling EXPO from the bios fixed the issue for them, so I tried that.

The problem is, after enabling EXPO now the PC won't post anymore. All the fans and lights are working, but there is no signal to the monitor, and this time both the DRAM and the CPU LEDs are on. I noticed that when it used to boot fine, those lights would be on, then CPU would turn off and then DRAM would turn off and it would post. So now I am stuck with the PC like this, can't access the BIOS anymore to disable EXPO. I tried checking all the connections, testing with only 1 RAM stick in all slots, both sticks, clearing CMOS a few times, flashing different BIOS versions, swapping DisplayPort to HDMI, nothing is working, it's still stuck in this state.

After checking again that my RAM sticks are compatible with the motherboard, I see this on their website: CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K ver5.43.13. I notice that mine are ver5.43.01, so I assume they are not compatible with my motherboard. But this is weird because previously it was working. I ordered new RAM (G.Skill Z5 Neo RGB - F5-6000J3238F16GX2-TZ5NR) which should be fully compatible with my motherboard. Should those work fine when I replace them?

What would you suggest me to do until they arrive? Anything that I should check?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check that your CPU is properly seated (suggest you remove and check CPU and put back in and verify now debris across any contacts) and your CPU cooling device is properly seated on the CPU.

Reset your BIOS per jumper as you did before. Use only ONE RAM module and place it in any RAM slot, try to boot. If nothing then move the ONE RAM module to next slot and try to boot ... repeat for all RAM slots. If none work, then use the other RAM module and repeat the process for each RAM slot.

Cheers, Rob.