New PC won't boot when I press power button but boots when reset button is pressed?

limbu_forever_san

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
I have no idea why this is happening. Every time I restart the PC I have to press the reset button in order for it to actually restart.
Any help will be nice :) Thank you

Solution
Try this. In Windows 10, there's a fast start feature the techs at TechNet said to turn off if start up becomes a problem. Go to Control Panel> Power Options> in the left hand column click 'Choose what the power buttons do'> under 'Shutdown settings', uncheck 'Turn on fast startup'.
This feature just starts up Windows in a hurry. If that's not the problem, you can go back in and turn it back on.
Hope this helps.

limbu_forever_san

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017

It's a new build yes, and nope! I thought that was the case initially, i checked and it was correct. I even tested it by swapping those two wires around and it wouldn't boot up at all.

Rexer

Distinguished
What's your computer's profile? cpu, gpu, ram, psu, mobo, etc.? Actually, I had the same problem but I solved it by swapping gpu cards. For some reason it black screens (but starts with a reset) with my larger, power hungry gpu cards (R9 390x and Vega 64). But when I use a gpu card with lesser power draw (Nvidia 970 or RX 580) it fires up in a heart beat every time. I swtiched psu, cables, too. I can only guess it's may be the motherboard's got a weak capacitor. I've no clue.
Also undated all my drivers and checked my bios, reseated all my Ram, hardware, monitor and cables.

limbu_forever_san

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
Yeah I've tried doing everything! Updated my bios, reinstalled my drivers, swap out PSU and GPU :(
My build;

Ryzen 5 1600
NZXT Kraken X62
4GB x 2 Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM
AMD XFX RX480 (Swapped it with a GTX1060... problem still persists)
MSI X370 Carbon Gaming Pro motherboard
Seasonic M12II 520W PSU

Rexer

Distinguished
Try this. In Windows 10, there's a fast start feature the techs at TechNet said to turn off if start up becomes a problem. Go to Control Panel> Power Options> in the left hand column click 'Choose what the power buttons do'> under 'Shutdown settings', uncheck 'Turn on fast startup'.
This feature just starts up Windows in a hurry. If that's not the problem, you can go back in and turn it back on.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: giappppptt
Solution
Mar 31, 2020
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your solution :D