New PCI card on old motherboard

Hello all,

I've (finally) hopped on the Wi-Fi bandwagon, and bought, among other
gear, a pair of PCI 802.11g network adapters.

Problem is, the PCI card is properly detected on my recent motherboard
(2001 ASUS A7V133-C SocketA) but *NOT* on my older motherboard (1997
ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 Socket7).

I've tried 3 different PCI slots, removed all ISA cards, increased the
PCI bus latency (whatever that does)... Still the card does not show up
in the BIOS summary (right before the OS boots). I've loaded Knoppix,
and, unsurprisingly, lspci does not see the adapter either (I thought
Linux might perform initialization which the BIOS forgot).

Is it possible that recent PCI cards DO NOT WORK plain and simple in
older motherboards? Isn't there some kind of backward compatibility?

P.S. why is the old Socket7 called Socket7? It's not like the CPU only
has 7 pins, right?

--
Regards, Grumble

keith

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:00:25 +0100, Grumble wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've (finally) hopped on the Wi-Fi bandwagon, and bought, among other
> gear, a pair of PCI 802.11g network adapters.

Nice. ...haven't gone there yet. I opened up the walls and ran a CAT-5
and RG6 to my "office" (there are advantages to having the kid move out
;-).

> Problem is, the PCI card is properly detected on my recent motherboard
> (2001 ASUS A7V133-C SocketA) but *NOT* on my older motherboard (1997
> ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 Socket7).

Oops.

> I've tried 3 different PCI slots, removed all ISA cards, increased the
> PCI bus latency (whatever that does)...

The PCI bus latence timer has nothing to do with the congiguration phase.
Basically, the PCI latency timer is the *minimum* time-slot (in PCI
cocks) that a device is alowed to "hog" the bus. Once the bus has been
granted (GNT# active) to a device the timer starts. If the bus arbiter
then decides to grant access to another device (GNT# de-asserted) the
first device does *not* have to give up the bus until the latency timer
goes to zero. If it's already zero it must immediately fork over access
to the bus.

It's not your problem (though you went the wrong way with it ;-).

> Still the card does not show up
> in the BIOS summary (right before the OS boots). I've loaded Knoppix,
> and, unsurprisingly, lspci does not see the adapter either (I thought
> Linux might perform initialization which the BIOS forgot).

Have you seen this with any other cards? What chipset (Northbridge)?

> Is it possible that recent PCI cards DO NOT WORK plain and simple in
> older motherboards? Isn't there some kind of backward compatibility?

It's certainly possible.

<straw_grasping_mode>
Is it a "universal" PCI card or is it a 5V card. It's possible it's
intended for 3.3V PCI?
<straw_grasping_mode/>

> P.S. why is the old Socket7 called Socket7? It's not like the CPU only
> has 7 pins, right?

....umm because it came after Socket-6 (PPro), Socket-5 (early Pentia -
single supply), Socket-4 (486)? ;-)

--
Keith

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:00:25 +0100, Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I've (finally) hopped on the Wi-Fi bandwagon, and bought, among other
>gear, a pair of PCI 802.11g network adapters.
>
>Problem is, the PCI card is properly detected on my recent motherboard
>(2001 ASUS A7V133-C SocketA) but *NOT* on my older motherboard (1997
>ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 Socket7).

Ah the famous P55T2P4. Are you running standard clocking and have you
checked your BIOS to make sure it's the last one issued?

>I've tried 3 different PCI slots, removed all ISA cards, increased the
>PCI bus latency (whatever that does)... Still the card does not show up
>in the BIOS summary (right before the OS boots). I've loaded Knoppix,
>and, unsurprisingly, lspci does not see the adapter either (I thought
>Linux might perform initialization which the BIOS forgot).

Sometimes cards just don't/didn't show in the BIOS summary list - no idea
why. Do you have PnP OS enabled in the BIOS Setup? That could prevent the
BIOS from do a full enumeration of PnP... i.e. leaving it to the OS to
figure out. I don't recall if the P55T2P4 BIOS had a "Reset Configuration"
or "Clear NVRAM" option - worth a try if it does. Also try disabling
something, like COM2 to make sure an IRQ is free.

>Is it possible that recent PCI cards DO NOT WORK plain and simple in
>older motherboards? Isn't there some kind of backward compatibility?

PnP was kinda half-baked back then, with the P55T2P4. I recall having
monumental "quarrels" with it, on some mbrds, where it would not release
resources back after they'd been assigned to a card which had subsequently
been removed. In one case I had to remove everything and boot it with a
bare config... to "give it a jolt"... and then put things back in an order
which got the dissenting card recognized before others.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Ed

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:00:25 +0100, Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote:

>Is it possible that recent PCI cards DO NOT WORK plain and simple in
>older motherboards? Isn't there some kind of backward compatibility?

IOW if setting the IRQ manually in the BIOS for the slot the card is in
to an IRQ that is not already in use/shared by other devices might help?

Ed

keith

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:34:20 -0600, Ed wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:00:25 +0100, Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote:
>
>>Is it possible that recent PCI cards DO NOT WORK plain and simple in
>>older motherboards? Isn't there some kind of backward compatibility?
>
> IOW if setting the IRQ manually in the BIOS for the slot the card is in
> to an IRQ that is not already in use/shared by other devices might help?

Were it junt an IRQ issue, the card would still show up in the
configuration.

--
Keith

rush

> I've (finally) hopped on the Wi-Fi bandwagon, and bought, among
> other gear, a pair of PCI 802.11g network adapters.
>
> Problem is, the PCI card is properly detected on my recent
> motherboard (2001 ASUS A7V133-C SocketA) but *NOT* on my older
> motherboard (1997 ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 Socket7).

lack of PCI 2.1 or something, it wont work

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

keith

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:49:48 +0000, RusH wrote:

>> I've (finally) hopped on the Wi-Fi bandwagon, and bought, among
>> other gear, a pair of PCI 802.11g network adapters.
>>
>> Problem is, the PCI card is properly detected on my recent
>> motherboard (2001 ASUS A7V133-C SocketA) but *NOT* on my older
>> motherboard (1997 ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 Socket7).
>
> lack of PCI 2.1 or something, it wont work

The differences between 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 are rather trivial. There's
nothing in there that would cause your problems.

--
Keith

mygarbage2000

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:59:36 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

....snip...

>> P.S. why is the old Socket7 called Socket7? It's not like the CPU only
>> has 7 pins, right?
>
>...umm because it came after Socket-6 (PPro), Socket-5 (early Pentia -
>single supply), Socket-4 (486)? ;-)
IIRC, Socket4 was for bigger, 5V Pentium 60/66 - the ones with
(in)famous FDIV bug.
486 used Socket3

keith

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:25:20 +0000, nobody@nowhere.net wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:59:36 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>>
>>> P.S. why is the old Socket7 called Socket7? It's not like the CPU only
>>> has 7 pins, right?
>>
>>...umm because it came after Socket-6 (PPro), Socket-5 (early Pentia -
>>single supply), Socket-4 (486)? ;-)
> IIRC, Socket4 was for bigger, 5V Pentium 60/66 - the ones with
> (in)famous FDIV bug.
> 486 used Socket3

You're probably right. When one gets old... ;-)

--
Keith

rush

keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote :

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:49:48 +0000, RusH wrote:
>
>> lack of PCI 2.1 or something, it wont work
>
> The differences between 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 are rather trivial.
> There's nothing in there that would cause your problems.

not my problems :) and those trivial differences make day and night
when it comes to wifi cards. I work as WISP consultant, its a common
problem. Just like USB2 cards - they dont work in Pentium 1
motherboards.

Pozdrawiam.
--

RusH wrote:

> not my problems :) and those trivial differences make day and night
> when it comes to wifi cards. I work as WISP consultant, its a common
> problem. Just like USB2 cards - they dont work in Pentium 1
> motherboards.

The card I tested was an MSI PC54G2:
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/communication/cmu/pro_cmu_detail.php?UID=584
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=PC54G2

NOTE: It was the cheapest I could find ;-)

Do you think I'll have problems with every PCI 802.11g card,
or is there one that might work with the P55T2P4?

--
Regards, Grumble

keith

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:22:33 +0000, RusH wrote:

> keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote :
>
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:49:48 +0000, RusH wrote:
>>
>>> lack of PCI 2.1 or something, it wont work
>>
>> The differences between 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 are rather trivial.
>> There's nothing in there that would cause your problems.
>
> not my problems :)

Oops! ;-)

> and those trivial differences make day and night
> when it comes to wifi cards. I work as WISP consultant, its a common
> problem. Just like USB2 cards - they dont work in Pentium 1
> motherboards.

The differences between these PCI levels have nothing to do with the
configuration cycles. I don't remember all of them (My fourth edition
Shanley and Anderson is at work), but some were things like cachable
memory allowed in 2.0, discourraged in 2.1, and forbidden in 2.2. I'd
have to look up the complete list.

BTW, P5 motherboards didn't like USB1.x either. ;-)

keith

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:39:05 -0500, keith wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 07:22:33 +0000, RusH wrote:
>
>> keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote :

>>> The differences between 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 are rather trivial.
>>> There's nothing in there that would cause your problems.
>>
>> not my problems :)
>
> Oops! ;-)
>
>> and those trivial differences make day and night
>> when it comes to wifi cards. I work as WISP consultant, its a common
>> problem. Just like USB2 cards - they dont work in Pentium 1
>> motherboards.
>
> The differences between these PCI levels have nothing to do with the
> configuration cycles. I don't remember all of them (My fourth edition
> Shanley and Anderson is at work), but some were things like cachable
> memory allowed in 2.0, discourraged in 2.1, and forbidden in 2.2. I'd
> have to look up the complete list.

Hmm, after a quick web search, it appears there is a problem with some
WiFi (Netgear in particular) and other than PCI 2.2. Indeed Netgear
specifies a PCI 2.2 compliant system for the WG311.

Now I'm curious. What is the issue (I've never seen a real difference
before)? I'll have to read up on the differences between PCI 2.1 and 2.2
tomorrow.

> BTW, P5 motherboards didn't like USB1.x either. ;-)

--
Keith

rush

Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote :

> NOTE: It was the cheapest I could find ;-)

there are like 5 makers on the Taiwan, the rest of the band are just
sticker monkeys, no mater what you buy, you will end up with
Globalsuntech or one of other OEMs

> Do you think I'll have problems with every PCI 802.11g card,
> or is there one that might work with the P55T2P4?

the cheapest AP goes for 30$, G starts at 50$ I think. Linksys WAP54G
is ok for the price, very stable + you can make your custom firmware
(mips running Linux).

Pozdrawiam.
--

Keith wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:00:25 +0100, Grumble wrote:
>
>> Still the card does not show up in the BIOS summary (right before
>> the OS boots). I've loaded Knoppix, and, unsurprisingly, lspci does
>> not see the adapter either (I thought Linux might perform
>> initialization which the BIOS forgot).
>
> Have you seen this with any other cards?

The PCI graphics card in my system, an old Diamond Monster Fusion with
a 3dfx Voodoo Banshee chipset, works flawlessly.

> What chipset (Northbridge)?

The P/I-P55T2P4 came with an Intel 430HX chipset, aka Triton 2:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/430hx/index.aspx

I found this page on Intel's site which lists the 430HX *ONLY* as PCI
2.1 compliant, where newer chipsets are PCI 2.2 compliant:

http://intel.com/design/chipsets/embedded/

That sounds like bad news for my wireless aspirations, no? :)

> <straw_grasping_mode> Is it a "universal" PCI card or is it a 5V
> card. It's possible it's intended for 3.3V PCI?
> <straw_grasping_mode/>

The data sheet states:
Form Fator 32-bit PCI v2.2
Operation Voltage 3.3V

Would my motherboard support 3.3V or 5V?

--
Regards, Grumble

keith

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:19:47 +0100, Grumble wrote:

> Keith wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:00:25 +0100, Grumble wrote:
>>
>>> Still the card does not show up in the BIOS summary (right before
>>> the OS boots). I've loaded Knoppix, and, unsurprisingly, lspci does
>>> not see the adapter either (I thought Linux might perform
>>> initialization which the BIOS forgot).
>>
>> Have you seen this with any other cards?
>
> The PCI graphics card in my system, an old Diamond Monster Fusion with
> a 3dfx Voodoo Banshee chipset, works flawlessly.
>
>> What chipset (Northbridge)?
>
> The P/I-P55T2P4 came with an Intel 430HX chipset, aka Triton 2:
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/430hx/index.aspx

Couldn't remember what chipset that model had. ...should have, since it
was a goodie, in its day.

> I found this page on Intel's site which lists the 430HX *ONLY* as PCI
> 2.1 compliant, where newer chipsets are PCI 2.2 compliant:
>
> http://intel.com/design/chipsets/embedded/
>
> That sounds like bad news for my wireless aspirations, no? :)

Sounds.

>> <straw_grasping_mode> Is it a "universal" PCI card or is it a 5V card.
>> It's possible it's intended for 3.3V PCI? <straw_grasping_mode/>
>
> The data sheet states:
> Form Fator 32-bit PCI v2.2
> Operation Voltage 3.3V
>
> Would my motherboard support 3.3V or 5V?

The HX was 5V PCI only. That may be the issue right there. Though a
3.3V only card should not fit in a 5V PCI slot. A 3.3V card has a keyway
in positions 12 and 13 (5V has these grounded) and a 5V card has a keyway
in positions 30 and 31 (3.3V card has these grounded). A "universal" card
would have a keyway in both positions. Position 1 is at the rear of the
case, so if you look at the slots in your T2P4 the key should be towards
the front of the case (5V slot). Where are the keyways on the card?

Keith

keith

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:19:47 +0100, Grumble wrote:

> Keith wrote:

>> <straw_grasping_mode> Is it a "universal" PCI card or is it a 5V
>> card. It's possible it's intended for 3.3V PCI?
>> <straw_grasping_mode/>
>
> The data sheet states:
> Form Fator 32-bit PCI v2.2
> Operation Voltage 3.3V
>
> Would my motherboard support 3.3V or 5V?

It took a while to refresh my 34YO memory (was thinking about this one
the way to brunch ;-), but there is something here. ISTR at some point
(PCI 2.2?) the spec *required* that 3.3V be supplied to the appropriate
pins (A21, B25, A27, B31, A33, B36, A39, B41, B43, A45, A53, and B54),
even in 5V slots, to support universal cards.

According to my third edition Shanley and Anderson (covering PCI 2.1), it
is "strongly recommended" that 3.3V be supplied in a 5V system, but not
required. ISTR that PCI 2.2 made this a requirement (will check tomorrow
with the fourth edition of S&A).

So... If you're into hacking, you might wire in 3.3V to the connector and
see. If the WiFi card has the two keyways (indicating a universal card)
it should work in a 5V system if it has 3.3V on the bus. ...or replace
the board, though I don't know which socket-7 boards would be 2.2
compliant.

--
Keith

rush

keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote :

> BTW, P5 motherboards didn't like USB1.x either. ;-)

P5 as this particular Asus or did you mean socket7 ?
I never saw socket 7 board refusing to work with USB 1.1 PCI card
(including HX).

Pozdrawiam.
--

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:56:45 +0000, RusH wrote:

> keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote :
>
>> BTW, P5 motherboards didn't like USB1.x either. ;-)
>
> P5 as this particular Asus or did you mean socket7 ?
> I never saw socket 7 board refusing to work with USB 1.1 PCI card
> (including HX).

Socket-7 in general, though it may have been the ctappy OSs of the time
from you know who. USB was all over the floor in those days. OTOH, the
USB port on my Tyan 1598-C2 (ci. '99 super-7 and K6-III) works just fine.
It even works with a USB 2.0 flash stick (Crucial Gizmo 2.0).

--
Keith

rush

keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote :

> Now I'm curious. What is the issue (I've never seen a real
> difference before)? I'll have to read up on the differences
> between PCI 2.1 and 2.2 tomorrow.

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/conventional_pci/2_
2sum1215.pdf

The fact is even those wifi card that are specified to work in 2.1/2.2
PCI have problems with 2.1.

Pozdrawiam.
--

George Macdonald wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:00:25 +0100, Grumble wrote:
>
>> Problem is, the PCI card is properly detected on my recent
>> motherboard (2001 ASUS A7V133-C SocketA) but *NOT* on my older
>> motherboard (1997 ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 Socket7).
>
> Ah the famous P55T2P4. Are you running standard clocking and have
> you checked your BIOS to make sure it's the last one issued?

I picked "LOAD BIOS DEFAULTS" in the BIOS, which I believe is even more
conservative than "LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS". The BIOS has the most recent
firmware version available (v0207).

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=P/I-P55T2P4

>> I've tried 3 different PCI slots, removed all ISA cards, increased
>> the PCI bus latency (whatever that does)... Still the card does not
>> show up in the BIOS summary (right before the OS boots). I've
>> loaded Knoppix, and, unsurprisingly, lspci does not see the adapter
>> either (I thought Linux might perform initialization which the BIOS
>> forgot).
>
> Sometimes cards just don't/didn't show in the BIOS summary list - no
> idea why. Do you have PnP OS enabled in the BIOS Setup? That could
> prevent the BIOS from do a full enumeration of PnP... i.e. leaving it
> to the OS to figure out. I don't recall if the P55T2P4 BIOS had a
> "Reset Configuration" or "Clear NVRAM" option - worth a try if it
> does. Also try disabling something, like COM2 to make sure an IRQ is
> free.

PnP OS is set to 'No' (I'll try 'Yes' to see what difference it makes).
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to do the
trick. I think the motherboard just won't take any PCI 2.2 cards :-(

--
Regards, Grumble

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:02:26 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:39:05 -0500, keith wrote:

>>> not my problems :)
>>
>> Oops! ;-)
>>
>>> and those trivial differences make day and night
>>> when it comes to wifi cards. I work as WISP consultant, its a common
>>> problem. Just like USB2 cards - they dont work in Pentium 1
>>> motherboards.
>>
>> The differences between these PCI levels have nothing to do with the
>> configuration cycles. I don't remember all of them (My fourth edition
>> Shanley and Anderson is at work), but some were things like cachable
>> memory allowed in 2.0, discourraged in 2.1, and forbidden in 2.2. I'd
>> have to look up the complete list.
>
>Hmm, after a quick web search, it appears there is a problem with some
>WiFi (Netgear in particular) and other than PCI 2.2. Indeed Netgear
>specifies a PCI 2.2 compliant system for the WG311.
>
>Now I'm curious. What is the issue (I've never seen a real difference
>before)? I'll have to read up on the differences between PCI 2.1 and 2.2
>tomorrow.

Delayed Transactions, probably...

>> BTW, P5 motherboards didn't like USB1.x either. ;-)

Roll-outs are often painful...

/daytripper

keith

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:11:01 +0000, daytripper wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:02:26 -0500, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>>> Oops! ;-)

>>> The differences between these PCI levels have nothing to do with the
>>> configuration cycles. I don't remember all of them (My fourth edition
>>> Shanley and Anderson is at work), but some were things like cachable
>>> memory allowed in 2.0, discourraged in 2.1, and forbidden in 2.2. I'd
>>> have to look up the complete list.
>>
>>Hmm, after a quick web search, it appears there is a problem with some
>>WiFi (Netgear in particular) and other than PCI 2.2. Indeed Netgear
>>specifies a PCI 2.2 compliant system for the WG311.
>>
>>Now I'm curious. What is the issue (I've never seen a real difference
>>before)? I'll have to read up on the differences between PCI 2.1 and 2.2
>>tomorrow.
>
> Delayed Transactions, probably...

At configuration time? I think the real problem here is the lack of 3.3V
at the PCI connector.

>>> BTW, P5 motherboards didn't like USB1.x either. ;-)
>
> Roll-outs are often painful...

Here M$ is king.

--
Keith

Keith wrote:

> The HX was 5V PCI only. That may be the issue right there. Though a
> 3.3V only card should not fit in a 5V PCI slot. A 3.3V card has a
> keyway in positions 12 and 13 (5V has these grounded) and a 5V card
> has a keyway in positions 30 and 31 (3.3V card has these grounded).
> A "universal" card would have a keyway in both positions. Position 1
> is at the rear of the case, so if you look at the slots in your T2P4
> the key should be towards the front of the case (5V slot). Where are
> the keyways on the card?

I'm not quite sure what a 'keyway' is. I assume it is the 'gap' between
the golden pins? If so, my card has two such gaps.

One gap in stead of pins 12-13 and the other in stead of pins 50-51.
(If I've counted right...)

No gap at pins 30-31.

It seems I'm trying to fit a 3.3V card into a 5V PCI slot, then?

--
Regards, Grumble

keith

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:38:05 +0100, Grumble wrote:

> Keith wrote:
>
>> The HX was 5V PCI only. That may be the issue right there. Though a
>> 3.3V only card should not fit in a 5V PCI slot. A 3.3V card has a
>> keyway in positions 12 and 13 (5V has these grounded) and a 5V card
>> has a keyway in positions 30 and 31 (3.3V card has these grounded).
>> A "universal" card would have a keyway in both positions. Position 1
>> is at the rear of the case, so if you look at the slots in your T2P4
>> the key should be towards the front of the case (5V slot). Where are
>> the keyways on the card?
>
> I'm not quite sure what a 'keyway' is. I assume it is the 'gap' between
> the golden pins? If so, my card has two such gaps.

Yes, a "keyway" is the slot through witch a key goes. The PCI connnector
is "keyed", thus the "keyway" is the slot through which the key passes.
Your card is thus a "universal" card and as such will work in a 5V or 3.3V
PCI bus. *However*, it may require 3.3V on the connector which your board
obviously doesn't supply. Thus it's not recognized because it has no
power supplied.

> One gap in stead of pins 12-13 and the other in stead of pins 50-51. (If
> I've counted right...)
>
> No gap at pins 30-31.

Sorry, the light isn't great in my "office". You are correct, it's 50-51.

> It seems I'm trying to fit a 3.3V card into a 5V PCI slot, then?

It's more like you're trying to fit a universal card into a slot that has
no 3.3V. My bet is that if you even hack in one 3.3V wire from elsewhere
this card will work. ...perhaps not reliably (may need more and lower
inductance), but I think this is the problem.

Yes, I was half-wrong (PCI version didn't matter). It appears that PCI
2.2 is the problem, but only because your board doesn't follow the PCI 2.1
recommendations. ;-) or is that :-(

I did run into this four years or so ago. Fortunately the IBM servers I
was designing for had plenty of 3.3V available at the PCI connectors.

--

Keith