[SOLVED] New Photoshop Intel Build! Would love input

brianz

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Hi all, it's time for my first build since 2010. My previous (and only) build worked flawlessly so I think I can do it again.

Goal: move to a 10 bit per channel display while ramping up productivity with latest hardware
Use: mostly professional grade RAW photo editing in Photoshop/Bridge, some video editing/processing, some virtual machine work (though just basic apps). No gaming.
Budget: loose
Overclocking: I intended to slightly overclock RAM beyond Core 10th generation specs. No plan to overclock CPU or GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Mobo:
RAM:
Storage:
Western Digital Black 6 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (2 units)
GPU: PNY Quadro P4000 8 GB Video Card (needed to enable 30 bit RGB in Photoshop)
PSU:
Case:
Display: NEC PA302W-BK 30.0" 2560x1600 60 Hz Monitor

Any thoughts? Seems to max out at about 650W, hence the 1000W supply. I am particularly curious as to whether or not the AIO CPU cooler plus the bundled case fans will be enough to cool everything adequately? I don't see why I'd need custom liquid cooling to run the CPU and GPU at stock voltages, but I could be way off.

I am mostly sticking with brands that lasted all 10 years of my previous build, but I'm open to suggestions across the board, if anybody sees something crazy off base in here!

Thanks,
Brian

Solution
If you are willing to try another brand, AMD has some very competitive options, that can outperform Intel, especially in situations like this, for a lesser cost. The Ryzen 9 series, for example, would be faster and cheaper than the Intel option you have selected. You could even look at the AMD Threadrippers for even more performance. Normally these Threadripper CPUs are not recommended, since most people play games, but your use case is exactly what they were designed for, if you want to spend the extra money of them.
If you are willing to try another brand, AMD has some very competitive options, that can outperform Intel, especially in situations like this, for a lesser cost. The Ryzen 9 series, for example, would be faster and cheaper than the Intel option you have selected. You could even look at the AMD Threadrippers for even more performance. Normally these Threadripper CPUs are not recommended, since most people play games, but your use case is exactly what they were designed for, if you want to spend the extra money of them.

Solution