New Power Supply Fried

stashu17

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Just built a new AMD 64 Athlon X2 5000 Black Edition system.
It was running great for about 2 weeks until power supply
just fried. I ordered 2 more, one 550W Raidmax with modular cables
and another 680W Chiefmax as a back up. Nether one will come on but both
light the green light on my Asus motherboard. Where do I start to find out
what other damage was done ? Could the power switch be bad now ?
Anyway to bypass the switch to get this to boot ? :??:

stashu17

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I was hoping you were not going to say that but I was fearing it.
Which one do you think has the better chance of not being cooked
and I will order the other. I would think the motherboard
would have went first but I'm not sure.

esmith7075

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Burnt up mobo I believe try the power supply test do a quick google search for Corsair power supply Test or something like that and check it out.

There's a pretty good, although not great, chance that you have not fried your motherboard. Try to borrow a known good PSU for testing, if you can. You would not be the first one here to get two bad replacements in a row.

The green or red led on the motherboard that is on when the computer is off is powered from the 5 volt STANDBY (sometimes called AUX) output (pin 9, purple wire). It is electronically separate from the part of the PSU.

The case power switch does not handle any power. All it does is momentarily ground a control pin that tells the PSU to turn on. If you suspect the power switch may be bad, simply swap it with the reset switch.

The little handy-dandy PSU testers are, within their limitations, quite useful.

There's a pretty good, although not great, chance that you have not fried your motherboard. Try to borrow a known good PSU for testing, if you can. You would not be the first one here to get two bad replacements in a row.

The green or red led on the motherboard that is on when the computer is off is powered from the 5 volt STANDBY (sometimes called AUX) output (pin 9, purple wire). It is electronically separate from the part of the PSU.

The case power switch does not handle any power. All it does is momentarily ground a control pin that tells the PSU to turn on. If you suspect the power switch may be bad, simply swap it with the reset switch.

The little handy-dandy PSU testers are, within their limitations, quite useful.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
assuming you have done all the standard stuff, like swapping in and out friend CPUs, and done CMOS reset ect.

it sound like a bios corruption to me. RMA your Parts there still.

i think that although your PSU is currently fine, i would suprise me that it was that, that casued it. cheaper PSU are very good at killing parts. but normally as suicide bomber, as in they go down too.