New power supply, no display two red lights

bjb_08

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I recently installed a new power supply that is 700w and after doing so when i boot up my system my monitor does not register at all. The monitor just stays in standby and will not show anything. I have tested the monitor and i know for sure the monitor works. My graphics card is an ATI radeon hd 4850 and I have two red lights on the back of it when they system powers on. I'm not real sure what they mean but I don't think they should be red. I was wondering if someone could help me in getting my display back on.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
What brand/model PSU did you get? Does your motherboard have onboard video? Do you have another video card? Do you have another power supply?

First is your PC posting when you turn it on? does it beep? is it checking the drives? if you have your sound on can you hear windows loading?

basically if you arent getting video, try an alternative video solution and see if it works, be it onboard or another add in card.

If you still dont get video, try another PSU, despite it being 700W, you might not be providing enough amps on the 12v rail, or the PSU might be bunked.

Check your power connections, make sure everything is secure.

the other option you jacked something up when installing your PSU and have much bigger problems.

bjb_08

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
The brand/model is a thermaltake toughpower 700w. Here is a link to see it exactly:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153035

the only onboard video I'm aware of is the yellow component that is on there. I have tested that and i have gotten no results from it what so ever.

here is a link to the motherboard. It is a DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS Motherboard S775 Intel P45 MATX and here is the link for a picture:

http://www.hydro-powered.co.uk/catalog2008/images/dfi/JR20P45-T2RS.jpg

I do not have another video card to test out with the system. the card seems to be posting like ati said it should but i can't be for certain. No other power supply to test out with either. just this one thats currently in it.

I can't test to see if the computer is posting though because there is no internal speaker on the motherboard and I currently do not have one on hand. There is no sound of as if windows is booting up though. I have tested to see that.

i would have to get another video card to test it and another power supply because i have none on hand right at the moment. Everything has been checked and is securely plugged into the correct place. So it looks like I will have to get some extra parts before i can really tell if the system will work.

If i were to get a system speaker is there anyone who can let me know where i would put it on this motherboard. Not 100% certain where i would plug it in. thanks.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
What did you do with your old PSU? The one before you installed the new one? Is the Graphics card new too or has it been in there awhile?

Your best bet is to replace the item you changed prior to this problem arising and see if it works. In general you should save parts you replace to use for trouble shooting/back up in the future. Especially items like your PSU and video card. Theres a number of reasons you could be getting the symptoms you are, your best bet is to trouble shoot with different parts to see what makes it work.

firefoxtrot

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Are you sure your HD4850 is secured properly into the PCI-E slot?

A difference of only a few degrees could cause the Graphic Card to malfunction.

Who is the manufacturer of the purchased card?