[SOLVED] New PSU blows when plugged into a multiboard that had a PSU blow previously???

Cheese Dripper

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
So about a week ago I bought parts for my "Sleeper" PC build, everything worked perfectly until I took it to my Mum's house that is. The Multiboard I was going to use previously had a PSU blow causing the breaker to cut off power to the room, after testing the multiboard was fine I plugged in my system with a unexpected spark coming from the PSU. I do understand that having a good PSU is safer which I did try that while going as cheap as possible but at the same time I think it may be the power delivery in that room or something (or multiboard)

I'm listing all of my system's specs here incase it could be of any help

CPU: Intel core i5 2310
GPU: AMD Radeon RX570 (Red Dragon)
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 Ripjaw G.skill RAM x2
MOBO: Asus P8H61-M LE LGA1155
HDD/SSD: Samsung 840 evo (500gb) and 1tb WD Blue HDD
PSU: Cooler Master Thermal Master 420w OEM PSU....

is there a chance that the hardware is safe???

Solution
So you replaced your previous psu(whatever it was) with a piece of junk?
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Thermal-TM-420-PMSR-Desktop/dp/B00WQO79HA
A maximum of 192w on the +12v rail(the primary one used by the cpu and gpu)... the RX 570 can pull 120w by itself, plus the i5-2310's 95+w = ?

I do understand that having a good PSU is safer which I did try that while going as cheap as possible
Ok, and yet you went too cheap anyways.

No way to know without testing... get an actual decent power supply, like a Corsair CX550.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So you replaced your previous psu(whatever it was) with a piece of junk?
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Thermal-TM-420-PMSR-Desktop/dp/B00WQO79HA
A maximum of 192w on the +12v rail(the primary one used by the cpu and gpu)... the RX 570 can pull 120w by itself, plus the i5-2310's 95+w = ?

I do understand that having a good PSU is safer which I did try that while going as cheap as possible
Ok, and yet you went too cheap anyways.

No way to know without testing... get an actual decent power supply, like a Corsair CX550.

Solution