Question New PSU not working -- voltage problem?

joaquimbc10

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
So, i recently upgraded from a 500w to a 750w, but after the upgrade when I turn on the PC the cooler starts and stops 1sec after. The lights of the Mobo still turns on. After that if I want to turn it on again I have to unplug the power cable, wait a few seconds and plug it again, otherwise it won't turn on.

I think that the problem lies within the voltages. My old PSU was 110v, and the new one is 230V. My house only have 110V outlets, so I got a transformer from a friend of mine to turn it on (110V -> 220V), it was then that the problem happened.

Could it be that the transformer is not enough for the PSU or did I plugged something wrong?

If it is useful, plugging the 24-pin cable from the old PSU makes the computer turn on

joaquimbc10

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
I don't think that this is the problem. It's true that the company is not the most reputable one in the market, but they do have an official 80 plus certification

As for budget, I paid for this one something around 80$, the closest PSU would be 120$

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
that certification means effeciency only , and doesnt mean performance , reliability or safety

your choice , if you wish to educate yourself more you will find stickies in this forum section

I don't think that this is the problem. It's true that the company is not the most reputable one in the market, but they do have an official 80 plus certification

As for budget, I paid for this one something around 80$, the closest PSU would be 120$

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/

Tier C - Recommended for entry level desktops, low profile HTPCs, Office desktops, preferably GPUs with no external PCI-e power connection.

Don't even try to plug your 5700XT in that PSU.

Last edited:

joaquimbc10

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
So, the PSU won't work even in a 220v outlet...

Sorry for being stubborn, it's just the pain of losing 80$ :sweatsmile:

Now that I refunded it, I have 2 new options (same price):
A gigabyte g750h or a Corsair cx 750. Which one should I get?

joaquimbc10

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
I'm from Brazil. The only decent online shops are kabum, terabyte and pichau.

Sadly, there are the only options that I have, otherwise I will have to wait a few months

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
PSU calculator adds a safety factor and it reccomends anything above 640 for your system, you would never each such power draw , also your system performance would benefit in games from adding another identical ram in the dual channel slot

My old PSU was 110v, and the new one is 230V. My house only have 110V outlets, so I got a transformer from a friend of mine to turn it on (110V -> 220V), it was then that the problem happened.

Couple issues here... 230V only PSUs are horrible. The cheapest of the cheap. Transformer or no transformer, your PSU is garbage.

Could it be that the transformer is not enough for the PSU or did I plugged something wrong?

Possibly. But we know nothing about your transformer. Regardless, you shouldn't have to use a transformer. You should buy a PSU that's appropriate for your line voltage.

If it is useful, plugging the 24-pin cable from the old PSU makes the computer turn on

Then it sounds like the PSU has the wrong set of cables? Modular cables are not universal. Different brands have different pin outs.

if its a quality PSU it shouldnt need a transformer , also include with the make and model of the PSU your Full system Components

Right. But it's not a quality PSU.

You tend to get what you pay for.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Wow, you guys even searched online, thanks! :)

Would 650w be enough though? I'm using a Ryzen 7 2700X, 3HDs and a Rx 5700 xt (I plan to overclock it in the future)

PSU calculator sugests a 750w PSU (https://outervision.com/b/vlBYbA)

For an extra R$50, wouldn't it be a better deal to grab a cx750?

I would think so, but when I checked the kabum site, it's showing the CX650 as R$ 309,90 , and the CX750 as R$ 417,90. Still, if you can swing it, it couldn't hurt to have the extra margin. If you plan to overclock, then you'll definitely want that extra margin.

But, while it's crazy expensive, I'd really try to see if you can manage the TX750M.