New R9 280x TOXIC...is it damaged? (Pictures included)

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Hi guys. An hour ago I just received my new R9 280x TOXIC. I opened the box carefully, took the card out of its anti static bag and the first thing I did was inspecting the card for any visual damage (I havent even removed protective plastic foil yet) I've got few questions about my card:

This is the first thing that caught my attention. APIE writing...seriously?
http://i.imgur.com/YhIv75p.jpg
Shouldn't it say: SAPPHIRE?

Here's the thing that concerns me most:
http://i.imgur.com/4t5gUR2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SdJDMv2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/lRtHZLP.jpg
It's hard to see on this photos, but it looks like something's peeling off.

From a side, it looks like card is slightly bent.
http://i.imgur.com/jiGSQQp.jpg
anyone else noticing it?

Other than that, card seems to be OK
http://i.imgur.com/3Ujz16g.jpg
http://imgur.com/Kd5LKZ1

Not sure what those "prints" are though:
http://imgur.com/qk6tD9m

Maybe I'm overreacting, or being too concerned, but my experiences from past, when buying new hardware are pretty bad. Almost everytime I buy something (whether it is a phone, a computer, or anything else) I find a failure and that part needs to be refunded/replaced.

Please, I need some answers asap.

I think you're right to be concerned, minor as those quality issues might seem, I've worked extensively in various factories and NOBODY would pass a product with missing decals like that, much less the other issues.
Send it back.
Be nice, be polite, be firm, but send it back.

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Was this ordered from Amazon? If so, I've had an experience on a purchase (Nikon D800) in which Amazon sends me. Visually the box looks like a normal Nikon D800, but when it's opened, it's a completely different camera inside, a used Nikon D700. Immediately contacted Amazon and they apologized greatly saying the camera was originally a return in which the customer that previously ordered it didn't want the camera. I'm guessing that Amazon didn't have time to inspect the camera when they received it back and shipped it to the next person without inspection.

Moral of the story is, normally things like this occurs, especially for high demand items like the R9 280x (due to bitcoin/litecoin miners), companies don't have the time to visually inspect everything, so they just print a new label and ship it to the next guy in line. Shady business, but it does happen. Definitely contact the company you purchased your card from and let them know ASAP. Hope you get everything resolved!

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Thank you both for your answers.
@coozie7: Those letter A P I E are actually "engraved" in a card. I really don't understand how could they miss this. I mean...how could they made a mistake at engraving "SAPPHIRE"??

@MrJohnnyLy: This was ordered from "local" shop...They sent it via DPD service (which is similar to DHL), but they're local (same country)
I know I should contact them ASAP, but what to tell them?? "Hi, excuse me, my graphic cards has no SAPPHIRE engraved on it! I want RMA?"

The fact there's wrong writing on it doesnt concern me, I mean...it would be better if the card was "complete" of course, but it doesnt bother me that much. What bothers me is the fact that if they made a mistake on "visual look of the card", they could made some mistakes with GPU itself

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

Tell them you bought the Card with an intention that it was a 'NEW' video card, and you have received what appears to be a 'USED' video card. You have detailed pictures proving that the card you received isn't 'NEW' and request if it's possible to receive an exchange for a new Video Card. Upon arrival of the video card and visually inspecting the card, and noticing the flaws in the card, you have lost faith in the hardware and question the reliability based on the lettering being missing as well as the components appearing to be 'peeled off.'

Normally this will escalate further to the higher officials in the company in which they should honor the request, considering you just received the unit.

Kari

Splendid
Visuals aside the pcb damage around those 'snap-off' points is hideous, they should have used some sort of cutters to separate the frame from the actuall board but looks like they have just bended it till it broke. There might not be any traces or other vitals in that damaged area but still...

Kari

Splendid
also from anands review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7406/the-sapphire-r9-280x-toxic-review
ToxicBack.jpg

so theres definitely something weird going on with that shroud

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

What do you suggest? Should I try to RMA the card?
Regarding your 2nd post: Exactly, this is how the toxic card should look like. I searched on web if someone had the same problem like I do, but unsuccessfully...

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

If you RMA the card, the manufacturer will think you did it and will void your warranty. Contact the company you bought the card from.

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

Even if I contact my company (which I did, and I explained the situation, now I'm waiting for their answer), they will still need a good reason to send the GPU back to Sapphire and get THEIR money back. So, is there a difference? :)
I contacted the company I bought a card from, now I just hope they can understand that if I paid for NEW card, I want my card to look as NEW and work as NEW.

MrJohnnyLy

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

That's the company's problem to take care of. Normally they'll tell the manufacturers the same thing you told the company. The manufacturer won't void the warranty or not accept the card back since the company is an authorized reseller. The manufacturer will likely eat the cost, rebuild the card and sell it as refurbished, while the company you bought the card from doesn't lose any money, and you get a brand new card.

I know it sounds trivial, but those missing letters show a lack of quality control, as does the damage around the breakout parts of the PCB and that sort of QC failure is usually a sign of a copy (knockoff, counterfeit call it what you will) part.
You have paid for a perfect, new, unused, genuine part, it's definitely not perfect and I'm not convinced it's genuine because of the QC issues, my advice stays the same: Return it. Politely.
It's just a shame you're not in the UK, here you could return it under the Distance Selling Regulations with no problems.

From the condition of the card, it is clearly one that should not have made it past inspection. The print was not done correctly, It looks like even the plastic wrap that you are supposed to peel off is very poorly installed, and not to mention your pictures of main concern. When you call them raise a HUGE stink about how the missing letters are enough of a physical defect that you demand a replacement. Since the letters are engraved, there is no way this could possibly have been done by you, and you clearly have received either an unfinished card (final touches were never done to it to clean it up for retail) or...well or nothing, this is what has happened and you as a consumer have a legal right to receive a product that is at least as advertised.

So it is not the retailers fault, but they can certainly help you deal with sapphire directly, and honestly, this can be taken up in a small claims court if the company refuses a replacement, as defects of that magnitude (focusing on the lettering) are a replaceable issue

also the bending you are perceiving is a sign of use on the card, and heavy use at that. This could be an old 7970 that ha.d been used for years and has warped over time.
do not install, do not remove plastic and return it so that you can get a REAL 280x, as there is clearly something suspicious about this one

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

is there any way I can evaluate a card simply by inspecting it whether it's a 7970 or real 280x?
I'm not sure whether the manufacturing quality went down over the years, or is it just me being extremly unlucky, but like I said, I always (and I mean ALWAYS) have to return anything I buy. That just stinks. I cant remember the time I bought something and it actually worked as it should.

I just don't believe anything good can come out in my case...since the company I bought that card from is pretty small, I think the complications will begin when negotiating with them.

Kari

Splendid

I've noticed that small local shops can be actually quite flexible since they really don't want to get bad reputation in their local area... but with your luck it's probably going to be a nightmare :D

There is no negotiation on this subject. You have been sent a card that was not quality inspected. If they try to say otherwise, tell them that you are more than ready to contact many advertising review sites and see if any of them will post your story about their product (only say this if absolutely nothing else works, as it will come off as aggressive).

You are very much like me with the unluckyness of buying anything. typically i always have to do at least one replacement. There is no real way to tell without installing the card, which i highly recommend you NOT do. Call sapphire, and see what they can do for you, and if that fails, go back to your retailer and show them the physical card with the plastic wrap still installed. Typically the poorly cut pcb would be enough to warrant a replacement, but the bending, and lack of branding is an instant "i got a bad card, give me a new one" issue

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

If nothing else works, I'll do exactly that. Of course, I'll try to solve this problem at my retailer first.
This world is a strange place...you pay for a sapphire, you get smacked with A PIE :D

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
21.1 UPDATE:
Retailer forwarded my request to their supplier. We'll see what comes out of this.

Should I just ask for my money and return the card and order it from somewhere else?

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
22.1 UPDATE:
Supplier replied to retailer: "We cannot comment the visual look of the card. If the product doesn't work, return it and we will contact the manufacturer for RMA."

OK, WTF? I'm not going to "plug in" my graphic card and see if it works or not. The card is in a bad shape already, before plugging it in computer.
And what do they mean they can't comment the visual look of the card??
Let me remind you: http://i.imgur.com/YhIv75p.jpg IT IS UNFINISHED!

Guys?