Question New Radeon 7900 xtx build randomly freezes for minutes at a time.

Feb 17, 2023
Hello fellas, I haven't been on Tom's in a couple years and lost my account login. I have come at you with a strange scenario.
Over the past few weeks, I upgraded parts in my PC one by one. In order I got 2x16 Vengeance LPX sticks, i5 13600k and a Gigabyte z690 UD DDR4, and finally a Radeon 7900 xtx. After swapping from a 1070 ti to the Radeon, the computer begins acting up and here's what I do to attempt to remedy:
  1. Before any issues, did a complete reinstall of Windows 10. Installed all Gigabyte drivers and new Radeon drivers.
  2. PC blue screens once, dxgmms2.sys - driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, installed and ran DDU, reinstalled Radeon drivers. Double-checked gigabyte drivers. Has not blue screened again.
  3. PC will freeze randomly, no clear denominator at all. Comes to an absolute halt. I must hold down the power button or wait maybe five minutes. Happens maybe once or twice a day, often while gaming or writing documents.
  4. Reset the CMOS. Didn't work. Then messed around in the BIOS with XMP and C-states. Ran sfc scan. Did not correct the issue.
  5. Called Microsoft. They have me run a repair tool. Did not fix the issue. They then suggest I upgrade to Windows 11. Also did not fix it. I guess they don't know what they are doing.
  6. Ran Memtest86. Completed all 4 passes.
  7. Check event viewer just after a freeze. The only stuff that seems little interesting is underapplications during the 5ish minute window, several reports regarding Event 2 AMD_ANR_BG_PROC and Event 1001 Windows Error Reporting. I'm afraid I don't know what any of it means. If it sounds important I am happy to share screenshots or anything you think might help.
I am at a total loss. I've used all the troubleshooting I know. I'd just like to know if it is a hardware failure so I can send it back within the return window. I appreciate any and all help you guys might have.

Feb 17, 2023
Download an older driver, run DDU to remove what you have now, and install the older release driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...d-radeon-rx-7900-series/amd-radeon-rx-7900xtx

Also, is this a reference model card, or one build buy an AIB? Reference cards have had some overheating issues, due to a bad vapor chamber. Might want to check temps as well.
Ah yes, I read about that, I made sure to buy an AIB. It will freeze at idle, and I've checked temps at idle, so I don't think it's temps causing it.

Feb 17, 2023
Download an older driver, run DDU to remove what you have now, and install the older release driver.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...d-radeon-rx-7900-series/amd-radeon-rx-7900xtx

Also, is this a reference model card, or one build buy an AIB? Reference cards have had some overheating issues, due to a bad vapor chamber. Might want to check temps as well.
Ok I put on an older driver from December a few hours ago, and its still freezing. However, it crashed and rebooted and there's a whole lot of stuff in event viewer. Event 56 Application Pop-up, multiple various Kernel-Boot events, multiple Event 55 Kernel-Processor-Power, Event 1001 BugCheck with a dump, so many more. Anything specific I should diagnose first?

Reactions: Brand893
Feb 17, 2023
You might need to do a fresh install of windows. That latest driver has supposedly been corrupting windows installs.
Did a fresh reinstall of Windows (now Windows 10 I'm just more familiar) and installed the second most recent Radeon drivers. I'm afraid it hasn't fixed it. This time though I got a blue screen of dpc_watchdog_violation (133) with the dump showing the image name as ntkrnlmp.exe ... never seen watchdog before... assuming maybe because I'm running an older Radeon driver? At even more of a loss than before now..

finalygotit

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hi there, seems there's a lot of issues with the latest AMD drivers . Went a little too fast , afraid of loosing the GPU market ?. I'm a very old AMD fan and a few months ago i bought my first Nvidia GPU since the old GeForce2. A 3080 12GB . A big leap coming from a RX580 ( loved that card and just before that a HD 7970 ) . Installing the RTX went as smooth as butter . But now ... i find it almost impossible to make my 7900XTX work as i would like. Which is not to play the latest game at 200 fps ( my UHD monitor runs @ 60 Hz ) but just to be able to play some old games running on Dx9 ( cossacks3- and yes i tried the fixes given on another forum for that -) with no random crashes and at the same time ( i mean by that without having to change the driver) work in Davinci 18.5 without the screen freezes . I tried almost everything to play Directx 9 and still can't make it work. But if anyone is interested the 23.2.1 seems to work all right with DaVinci 18.1.4 . If you want to run DV 18.5 it seems preferable to go for the 23.4.3 but it did not work for me. For your information i did 3 DDU cleanups + 1 amdcleanup in safe mode , 2 clean installs of WIN 10 + updates , changed my DRAM , event tried single channel in case the cpu ram controller failed , took the 7900 out and put the 3080 in again ( no freezes , no crashes , everything worked) put the 7900 back in and ... well you know.
R 5900 - 7900 XTX -32 GB F4-3600C17 - X-570 Tomahawk - Corsair Hi 1000 W

Jun 26, 2023
Hello fellas, I haven't been on Tom's in a couple years and lost my account login. I have come at you with a strange scenario.
Over the past few weeks, I upgraded parts in my PC one by one. In order I got 2x16 Vengeance LPX sticks, i5 13600k and a Gigabyte z690 UD DDR4, and finally a Radeon 7900 xtx. After swapping from a 1070 ti to the Radeon, the computer begins acting up and here's what I do to attempt to remedy:
  1. Before any issues, did a complete reinstall of Windows 10. Installed all Gigabyte drivers and new Radeon drivers.
  2. PC blue screens once, dxgmms2.sys - driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, installed and ran DDU, reinstalled Radeon drivers. Double-checked gigabyte drivers. Has not blue screened again.
  3. PC will freeze randomly, no clear denominator at all. Comes to an absolute halt. I must hold down the power button or wait maybe five minutes. Happens maybe once or twice a day, often while gaming or writing documents.
  4. Reset the CMOS. Didn't work. Then messed around in the BIOS with XMP and C-states. Ran sfc scan. Did not correct the issue.
  5. Called Microsoft. They have me run a repair tool. Did not fix the issue. They then suggest I upgrade to Windows 11. Also did not fix it. I guess they don't know what they are doing.
  6. Ran Memtest86. Completed all 4 passes.
  7. Check event viewer just after a freeze. The only stuff that seems little interesting is underapplications during the 5ish minute window, several reports regarding Event 2 AMD_ANR_BG_PROC and Event 1001 Windows Error Reporting. I'm afraid I don't know what any of it means. If it sounds important I am happy to share screenshots or anything you think might help.
I am at a total loss. I've used all the troubleshooting I know. I'd just like to know if it is a hardware failure so I can send it back within the return window. I appreciate any and all help you guys might have.
Hey Guberpeas,

googled this error and found your post.
I'm the same here. 7900 xtx brand new, and a new windows install with correct drivers installed and not letting windows install anything else.

I'm getting screen hangs/freezing for moments at a time and then recovering with "AMD_ANR_BG_PROC" errors at corresponding times. Card temp doesn't get above 80 degrees celcius.

23.5.2 driver

Hope you've sorted your issue out?
Cheers