Question New RAM causes BIOS boot loop

Sep 28, 2022
Hello,

I just bought new RAM and I am stuck in a bios boot loop. I put the old RAM back in and same thing.

I have pulled the battery, cleared CMOS, checked that the RAM is seated correctly, powered off and unplugged through every change, updated to the latest BIOS, etc. I have exhausted ideas I have found online. Looking for some new suggestions.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Check the motherboard's User Guide/Manual. Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM be placed in a specific RAM slot.

Sep 28, 2022
Thank you for the quick response. And yes, there is a required slot order and yes, they are in the correct slots (same as they were before). Beyond that the motherboard manual is useless. also worth noting that the BIOS does recognize all of the components in the settings.

This is a build that I’ve had for a couple of years.
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI
CPU: i5-10400 2.9 GHz
HD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO and Maxtor 7V250F0, nowhere near capacity
PSU: Corsair RM750
Old RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz (2x4 Gb)
New RAM: T Force VulcanZ DDR4 3200 MHz (2x16Gb)

I have tried the auto settings which reduces the speed of the RAM and tried setting the Speed manually to the actual speed and other speeds. I have also tried to enable XMP and the MSI “Memory Try It!” Mode. Nothing seems to work. Can’t even get it working with the old RAM which has had no issues for 2 years, including before I tried to make the swap.

I do understand that the CPU and the RAM have mismatched speeds. That was also true for the old RAM. I have never done any overclocking of a system although I am somewhat of an experienced builder having built a number of computers over the last 30 years.

Sep 28, 2022
Ok so I was reading somewhere that someone else had a problem with a Linux OS where they had to change the boot back from UEFI to CSM. I thought “I have tried everything else, so…” it worked! Both RAMs work now.