Question New ram not working proberly

Dec 14, 2019
Cheers,

till today i ran my asus prime z370-a mb with two single 8gb ripjaws 3200mhz sticks, with xmp profile. They were installed in a2 and b2. Everything worked fine!
Today i got two 16gn ripjaws 3200mhz sticks and put them in the both empty slots.
My pc started at first without any problems.
At the second boot i went into the uefi and selected xmp profile. I saved and tried to boot new.
The pc didn't start and the orange led was permanently on. I got to the uefi and resetted the settings and the pc started boiting again. The led is of.
But i would like to use the xmp profile, because now all 4 sticks are running on 2133 mhz.
  1. is the order of the sticks correct? I feel the manual very confusing.
  2. what could be the reason to not work with xmp?

Thanks in advance!

From what you've written it seems you're essentially mixing and matching RAM (despite being the same branding).

As I understand it in such cases you'd ideally need to manually adjust things to get them to work. Hopefully someone else can offer more advice on that aspect.

Cheers,

till today i ran my asus prime z370-a mb with two single 8gb ripjaws 3200mhz sticks, with xmp profile. They were installed in a2 and b2. Everything worked fine!
Today i got two 16gn ripjaws 3200mhz sticks and put them in the both empty slots.
My pc started at first without any problems.
At the second boot i went into the uefi and selected xmp profile. I saved and tried to boot new.
The pc didn't start and the orange led was permanently on. I got to the uefi and resetted the settings and the pc started boiting again. The led is of.
But i would like to use the xmp profile, because now all 4 sticks are running on 2133 mhz.
  1. is the order of the sticks correct? I feel the manual very confusing.
  2. what could be the reason to not work with xmp?
Thanks in advance!
Move the 8GB modules to A1/B1 and 16GB to A2/B2. Slots A1/B1 are black and A2/B2 are gray. Slot A2 is the furthest module on the right. If both kits have the same timings, use the XMP settings of the 16GB modules. You might have to manually set timings to the looser timings (higher number) and voltage if both kits have different timings available and make sure you set command rate to 2T.

Edit - Also, post another screen shot of the 8GB module kit as you did for the 16GB. Select from the memory module drop down box in HWInfo64.

Edit2 - Your memory is running at 3200Mhz, HWInfo64 just displays it as half that speed.

Dec 14, 2019
Move the 8GB modules to A1/B1 and 16GB to A2/B2. Slots A1/B1 are black and A2/B2 are gray. Slot A2 is the furthest module on the right.
i did this now, here are the results by hwinfo and from the uefi (dont know how to screenshot from there, sorry!) View: https://imgur.com/a/C7mdK1C

If both kits have the same timings, use the XMP settings of the 16GB modules.
there is only one option to set as xmp, as in the pictures shown. or do you mean something else?
Edit2 - Your memory is running at 3200Mhz, HWInfo64 just displays it as half that speed.
aaaah okay, good to know, thank you!

there is only one option to set as xmp, as in the pictures shown. or do you mean something else?
That was only if there were more than one profile from both kits. The 16GB modules need to run with 2T command rate which is running properly now since you moved them to A2/B2. If the XMP profile works, use it. Also, change your base clock (BCLK Freequency) from 103 shown in the third picture, to 100Mhz to reduce possible problems with system stability. Assuming everything is set correctly, your system should function. If you still have issues with programs crashing or Windows blue screening, you may have to manually set the timings.

Dec 14, 2019
That was only if there were more than one profile from both kits. The 16GB modules need to run with 2T command rate which is running properly now since you moved them to A2/B2. If the XMP profile works, use it. Also, change your base clock (BCLK Freequency) from 103 shown in the third picture, to 100Mhz to reduce possible problems with system stability. Assuming everything is set correctly, your system should function. If you still have issues with programs crashing or Windows blue screening, you may have to manually set the timings.
Hey Third-Eye,
i did what you told me and the systems seems to run smooth.
Thank you very much! Are you registered at ko-fi.com? Would like to show some thankfulness. :)

aaaah okay, good to know, thank you!
This was actually wrong, The memory was running 2666Mhz with 103Mhz base clock making it 2747Mhz. I must have been looking at something else and got it in my head that you were already running 3200mhz. Assuming you set the XMP profile and made sure everything else was set properly, it should be at 3200Mhz now with the correct timings and speeds for the memory and motherboard. In HWInfo64, on the summery page, check the bottom right where it says memory and check that the it reads as:
48GB
Clock 1599 or 1600 Mhz = 16 X 100
CR 2T
Timings 16-18-18-38
Hey Third-Eye,
i did what you told me and the systems seems to run smooth.
Thank you very much! Are you registered at ko-fi.com? Would like to show some thankfulness. :)
I don't need anything as a thanks. I'm just on this forum to help people so I can learn new stuff and refresh myself on old and current technical problems people have.

Reactions: DMAN999
Dec 14, 2019
48GB
Clock 1599 or 1600 Mhz = 16 X 100
CR 2T
Timings 16-18-18-38

unfortunately thats not what it says..

it Says
48GB
Clock 1333,7 Mhz = 13,33 x 100.0 Mhz
CR 2T
Timings 16-18-18-38.

so it seems its not running the xmp correctly, do i see that right?

I don't need anything as a thanks. I'm just on this forum to help people so I can learn new stuff and refresh myself on old and current technical problems people have.

well okay, was just an offer :)

unfortunately thats not what it says..

it Says
48GB
Clock 1333,7 Mhz = 13,33 x 100.0 Mhz
CR 2T
Timings 16-18-18-38.

so it seems its not running the xmp correctly, do i see that right?
What does the xmp setting say when you select it? Is it the same one in the screenshots from before saying 3200Mhz and are you sure it's the only one available in that drop down box in the bios dram settings screenshot where it says profile#1? Have you tried doing manual settings yet? That is what you will have to do if the XMP setting isn't working correctly. You will have to manually change speed to 3200Mhz with timings set to 16-18-18-38 2T and 1.35v. You may have to enter an advanced mode (usually f7 or whatever it says in bios) to change everything.

Dec 14, 2019
What does the xmp setting say when you select it? Is it the same one in the screenshots from before saying 3200Mhz and are you sure it's the only one available in that drop down box in the bios dram settings screenshot where it says profile#1?
yes, it was only profile 1 avaiable and it said 3200mhz.

Have you tried doing manual settings yet? That is what you will have to do if the XMP setting isn't working correctly. You will have to manually change speed to 3200Mhz with timings set to 16-18-18-38 2T and 1.35v. You may have to enter an advanced mode (usually f7 or whatever it says in bios) to change everything.

this is what i did now.
i went to AI overclock tuner set it to manual, choosed DDR4 3200 mhz, and set dram Voltage to 1.35v.
the timings were : 16-16- in the first row, 18 -18 in the second and 38-38 in the third. now hwiinfo says the following:
View: https://imgur.com/a/JE7EOuO

sounds good to me?

Reactions: DMAN999
yes, it was only profile 1 avaiable and it said 3200mhz.

this is what i did now.
i went to AI overclock tuner set it to manual, choosed DDR4 3200 mhz, and set dram Voltage to 1.35v.
the timings were : 16-16- in the first row, 18 -18 in the second and 38-38 in the third. now hwiinfo says the following:
View: https://imgur.com/a/JE7EOuO

sounds good to me?
You have the cas latency set to 17 and RAS set to 36. For the timings to be mostly the same as the xmp setting, they need to be:
CL 16
RCD 18
RP 18
RAS 38
RC 56

There may be a 't' infront of each one so it would look like tRCD and tRP. I have no idea what the bios looks like on when setting timings.