Dec 25, 2019
Hi, I game on a roughly 5-year old PC that I built in 2015. I want to upgrade the RAM from 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz to a 16 GB DDR3L kit I purchased from Crucial on Black Friday. When I installed the new RAM, the computer got stuck in its POST cycle and the D-RAM LED came on solid red. My motherboard is an ASUS MAXIMUS VI GENE, which per Crucial's website should be compatible with the RAM I purchased. If I remove the new RAM and instead use the old, the PC boots no problem.

This leads me to believe that these new RAM sticks are DOA, but I find it odd that both would be busted (I tried each individually, no dice). Is there some compatibility issue with DDR3L RAM? I thought to update my BIOS but don't want to unless it appears absolutely necessary. The BIOS is the second-to-most recent version, Version 1505 (6/5/2014).

Would appreciate any help or alternative solutions before I RMA the RAM (ha ha). Thanks!

Nov 29, 2019
DDR3 and DDR3L is different RMA it and get a hyper x fury DDR 3 1866MHZ sticks its cheap. works like a charm, DDR3L runs at a higher voltage if you can get into bios change the voltage with your old ram and stick the crucial in there see if that works, if not might be DOA or not compatible with your cpu at those speeds also depends on your CPU bus speed