New rig for steady 60fps on 4k

guilhermetroiani

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Hi, i need some help.

I bought a tv LG oled 4k hdr, the c7 version. I want to build a new pc to play 4k on 60fps on this tv.
My pc right now:
Cpu:i5 2500k
Motherboard: Asus p8p67 ws revolution
Ram: 16gb gskill ddr3 2133mhz
Psu: corsair 850w
Gpu:none (i sold my r9 290x)
Hd: none ( it stopped working)
Watercooler: kraken x62
Case: nzxt s340 elite

my question: since im probably going to buy a gtx 1080 ti. Do i need to build a completly new pc, like a ryzen one or the new i7 8700k, or is it better just buy the gpu and maybe change the cpu to a i7 3770k? Also, does the i7 3770k overclock on this mobo? Does this mobo support 1tb samsung 960 evo? Or is it better buy 2 sata ssds?

Money is not a problem, but i dont want to spend on useless things like a completly new pc if the fps difference will be almost non existent since it will be in 4k.
English is not my first language, so excuse me if i wrote something wrong.

Solution
The way I look at it, if you can afford a C7 OLED, you can afford upgrading your PC platform. I also wouldn't be surprised if the MB, CPU and RAM outlast the OLED, because lifespan is OLED's main weakness.

You'll need at least one 1080 Ti bare minimum for 4k 60 FPS. If you plan on using max settings, I know of at least one game that will at best play at about 43 FPS at 4k. That would be Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Your choices on GRW is to drop draw distance a bit, drop res to 1440p (plays at about 73 FPS max settings at that res), or worst case scenario, go 1080 Ti dual SLI. I wouldn't recommend SLI, because it's becoming less and less supported. A lot of games won't work with SLI anymore, and it can takes months of waiting for those that...
The way I look at it, if you can afford a C7 OLED, you can afford upgrading your PC platform. I also wouldn't be surprised if the MB, CPU and RAM outlast the OLED, because lifespan is OLED's main weakness.

You'll need at least one 1080 Ti bare minimum for 4k 60 FPS. If you plan on using max settings, I know of at least one game that will at best play at about 43 FPS at 4k. That would be Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Your choices on GRW is to drop draw distance a bit, drop res to 1440p (plays at about 73 FPS max settings at that res), or worst case scenario, go 1080 Ti dual SLI. I wouldn't recommend SLI, because it's becoming less and less supported. A lot of games won't work with SLI anymore, and it can takes months of waiting for those that do, and some games never get support that isn't glitchy.

I would also say the MB, CPU, RAM upgrade will be beneficial just to switch to a MB that supports DDR4, and you can get 3200 speed RAM at pretty good prices now. The new MBs also support NVMe M.2 SSDs, which are super fast and greatly speed up your OS, programs, and level loading times of any games mounted on them.

You can get a 500-512GB NVMe for about $200. Just put about a 30-40GB partition on it for the OS, or 50GB if you want to make a partition for OS and progs, then use the rest for a handful of games that benefit a lot from faster loading times. Some games actually run a lot better on a fast SSD too, usually ones that stream textures too slowly, like Arkham Knight for instance.

I'm planning on going with a 1080 Ti soon and a i7-8700k. I plan on going with a Sony 49" X900E soon as well. I really feel you'd have been much better off with a TV like that. It's picture quality is near OLED, and you'd have saved a ton of money and it would have lasted much longer. It would have left you nearly unlimited choices on PC parts too.

Solution

guilhermetroiani

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017

thanks for the reply. Yes, i can afford a new pc build but is it worth it? The way i see, platforms are changing too fast right now. Soon 14nm will be replaced by 7nm, but i dont know if the change in gaming performance will be signifficant either.
If i were to choose right now, i would wait a little and buy an i7 8700k and build a new pc, but i dont know, it's 4k i know that gpu will be the relevant part...