new rig help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I would still use gotapex, newegg, fatwallet, and pricewatch to find the best deals on the monitor/equipment you decide on.

Also PLEASE use resellerrtings.com with any reseller you find on the web.... This could really end up saving you a lot of money in the long run as some of these online vendors charge restocking fees or are very difficult to get money refunded.

If a reseller is not on resellerratings I WOULD THINK TWICE BEFORE MAKING A PURCHASE!!!.. Sorry for the all caps but that is very important.

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks ches111, appreciate the info.

Does anyone have any info on which motherboard I should buy(easily able to overclock an opteron)? Please

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
About the MOBO,

I think you will love this board. I have had an Intel version of the MSI NEO FISR 2 board now for three + years and it has been great.

Beware the "canned" Overclocking in the bios "sgt, cpl, cpt" and such as they are very generic and did not work well in my attempts on a P4.

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Hey i would recommend the 4200.it does persorm exelent i dont think ocing would be the best thing to do and its not needed.or go with the 3800X2 that is very nice and is cheap.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
I have read good things about the MSI 939 Platnium. But there are others that are BETTER known for OC'ing....

MADMIKEMOD, Linux_0,,,, Any suggestions? I know the DFI Lanparty is supposed to be nice and Gigabyte recently released a multiphase (8 I think) board that was supposed to really be a real OCer.

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
no but its just why OC when with what he is doing it is really not neede.I mean if he wants to go fof it then go ahead.I was just think that he was just doing it to save money when he dosnt have to

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Ok, here is a revision to my list.

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or Opteron 165
-G.SKILL 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200) Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS (good reviews on new egg, plus has, Timing: 2.5-3-3-6, and life time warrenty)
-SAPPHIRE Radeon X800GTO2 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Deluxe Video Card
-(not sure which mother board, please help with this one)
-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB (going to try this, reviews seem better than the seagate counterpart, plus 20 more gigs)
-NEC LCD1970GX-BK Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor (thinking about going with the 17" version of thsi to save some money incase I get the opteron, so I can get a watercooling system)
-LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/LightScribe

please help, I'm prob. going to be buying here within the next couple of days, and I kind of want to get a final list together so I can do my final research on everything. ThANKS everyone.

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
hey if you want a water coolind kit for the cpu then you might want to wait for this beast,here is the link to it
http://hardocp.com/news.html?news=MTc0NjEsTWFyY2ggICAgLDIwMDYsaG5ld3M=

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
actually sorry nother mind about the last post forgot that you are getting a amd cpu since the main thing about it is the water block.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
This is a very good article about the MSI 939 Diamond board...

This was a recent release form MSI with mcuh better OC capability than the previous MSI models which were solid but not an OCers friend.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/26/msi_k8n_diamond_plus/

This is the one I read about on other forums that was sitirring things up a bit.

Not sure if anyone has some more current info...

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Also,

About the water cooling,

I would buy a nice Air cooler first and play with some overclocking there. If you get MUCH better and understand what you are doing with OC'ing (it is an art form sometimes given the different hardware configurations) then consider boiling some water :).

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks for all the info guys....

Can you give me some opinions about the list i have so far, and a few recommendations for motherboards, i'm looking into that msi board chels111....
I think I am going to go with the opteron, just because the ability to overclock is there... Still not positive though... I would like some more opinions about that also. You guys have been a big help so far!!
Is the 19in monitor overkill, should I SAVE some money and get the same model, but 17in.?
Why is everyone leaning me away from watercooling? Is there any particular reason(Hard to install, problems, ect.)?

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Sekeru

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
There is nothing wrong with watercooling just that mabey you would want to wait to get it.Cause most aircoolers from artic will work just fine.

thedrake

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Alright, I want some opinions. I'm a moderate gamer, movie/music buff(encoding, watching, ect.), and web surfer.

This is what I'm currently looking at, and will be buying my components shortly.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
G.SKILL 2GB DDR 400 (PC 3200) Model F1-3200PHU2-2GBNS
HIS Hightech Radeon X800GTO IceQ II Turbo 256MB GDDR3
BIOSTAR TForce4U Socket 939
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB
NEC LCD1970GX-BK Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor
LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/LightScribe

what do you think? I'm on a budget, and I'm buying everything from newegg(Is this pretty much the cheapest place to buy online?).

Dump the X800GTO pick up a 7900GT - much better bang for your buck.

I'd dump the mobo and grab an Asus A8N (whichever flavor you want).

Make sure you get the WD that has the sataII AND 16mb cache - if you get 2 of them and raid 0 them - they come close to performance of a single raptor....note not on benchmarks, but in normal everyday usage.

I just got the liteon burner as well.....hoping it is decent. I almost got teh $122 plextor sata burner, but didn't have lightscribe.

That memory is probably better, but I personally think there are better choices out there.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Well, as far as the motherboard is concerned I think you'd be ok with the MSI or the DFI LANParty NF4 LSI-DR. Both have favorable reviews, but it looks as though the DFI would be better for overclocking.

As far as cooling is concerned, I don't know much about water cooling so I will not recommed anything. However, when it comes to air cooling I've always trusted my equipment to Thermalright and a little Arctic Silver 5. The XP-120 and its recommended Panaflo fan will probably be more than enough to handle overclocking. However, as noted earlier, AMDs shipping their new processors with very decent heatpipe heatsinks these days. You may want to try theirs first and see how far you get before throwing down cash for an aftermarket setup.

And like I said, you should REALLY be looking at the X850XTs. Prices are dropping on them fast and they're disappearing quickly.

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
for your video card i would go with the eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT, it's performance is sometimes compared to that of a 7800gt ($100more)

the opteron 165 is awesome keep it, good ram

you could save a couple $ and go with a Samsung 940b which is extremely popular and everyone i know loves them and Samsung itself

mobo: go with ASUS they make boards that are good for pretty much everything i would go with an A8N-E if i was u

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
for your video card i would go with the eVGA 256-P2-N553-AX Geforce 7600GT, it's performance is sometimes compared to that of a 7800gt ($100more)

the opteron 165 is awesome keep it, good ram

you could save a couple $ and go with a Samsung 940b which is extremely popular and everyone i know loves them and Samsung itself

mobo: go with ASUS they make boards that are good for pretty much everything i would go with an A8N-E if i was u

I have the A8N-E, and its alright, after you update the BIOS like hell... I doubt he would want to have that sort of experience building his first pc. I think his mobo choice is fine already.