Question New RTX 2070 Super black screens and artefacts

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
So I upgraded to an RTX 2070 Super from a GTX 780 and I got some artefacts on Planet Coaster (up until then I'd been fine) on day one. I later got some screen black outs for a few seconds at a time which went away by turning the TV off then on. However I'd still get the occasional screen black out. I then installed the drivers because I didn't realise the 780's and 2070 Super's drivers aren't the same due to the USB C port but my issue continued.

I tried running DDU and reinstalling the drivers cleanly and also updated to driver 451.85 hot fix drivers. This worked for a day and a bit and I thought the problem might be solved, but while just streaming video the screen blacked out again with static and then came back. Every time the screen blacks out and comes back I get the HDR notification on my TV like the picture mode switched from HDR to SDR and back again (one exception was when the computer looked like it wanted to go to sleep and changed its mind and turned the display back on).

I updated to Windows 2004 during all this and also cleaned some corrupt files that SFC/Scannow found. There was one instance where I had to use the reset switch on my PC because it looked stuck on the restart screen, I don't know if that would have done anything.

Reliability Monitor and Event Viewer don't record anything as having gone wrong. The RGB on the card continues working whenever this stuff happens. So far, when running a game, the picture does not drop out.

I also checked to see if the card was in correctly and if I push anymore the board flexes so I don't want to keep doing that. The retention clip looks in place, but I can never seem to hear a click on this board when I install a card or it's very hard to hear it. Does the clip need to click or is it fine?

My GTX 780 didn't like this display either at times and would graphically corrupt with it.

Specs:
i5 4570
RTX 2070 Super (GPUZ says it has Micron RAM :/)
16 GB RAM
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Antec TruePower 750W 80+ Gold PSU

Could it be Windows? Could it be drivers? The HDMI cable? Hopefully it's not my card, but I'm thinking it might be the component at fault

EDIT: Forgot to say I stress tested the card numerous times and it passed every time with not one issue

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Putting the gpu in place doesn't always signal with a click, just judge visually is it evenly and all the way in slot and is the latch back up all the way. Now regarding blackscreen and artifacts it's either bad scenario = card is dying or temperature/overclocking issue. What brand is ur gpu? Are you running any app like MSI Afterburner, Gigabyte Aurus Engine or Asus GPU Tweak and/or tried overclocking or for it to run at boost or ocsetup?

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Putting the gpu in place doesn't always signal with a click, just judge visually is it evenly and all the way in slot and is the latch back up all the way. Now regarding blackscreen and artifacts it's either bad scenario = card is dying or temperature/overclocking issue. What brand is ur gpu? Are you running any app like MSI Afterburner, Gigabyte Aurus Engine or Asus GPU Tweak and/or tried overclocking or for it to run at boost or ocsetup?

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

Asus made the card. It’s at the factory overlock speed. I’ve changed nothing there. Aura Sync is running at all times

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014

If the card is at fault, I may just return it, put my old card back in and just not bother

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Unless anyone will pitch in some idea I'd be behind that. Artifacts and momentary blackscreens, without the pc actually shutting down, point to gpu. I was asking did you oc it because these are also good signs of oc gone too far, to high temp etc. However if you're saying gpu acts like that without anyone touching it while on stock clock settings ... that just shouldn't happen. Exchange it or get your money worth back while still in warranty, they handed you a faulty model.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Unless anyone will pitch in some idea I'd be behind that. Artifacts and momentary blackscreens, without the pc actually shutting down, point to gpu. I was asking did you oc it because these are also good signs of oc gone too far, to high temp etc. However if you're saying gpu acts like that without anyone touching it while on stock clock settings ... that just shouldn't happen. Exchange it or get your money worth back while still in warranty, they handed you a faulty model.

Means there will likely be no GPU upgrade for me. Feel it would be too much hassle to keep changing out cards if it gets there which it tends to when I get into RMAs. PS5 is coming though which is great

Last edited:

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Yeah darn shame but this kind of stuff happens, if it makes you feel better had 2 cases like that in the past. Both gtx 750 and 950 started dying with similiar symptoms shortly past the warranty period. Current gtx 1080 is fine so far on boost but when I try to push it even a smidge into oc territory it crashes. I'm curious about ps5 but honestly I'd buy only for ffvii remake which will most likely just like ffxv come to pc eventually.

unplanned bacon

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2014
Yeah darn shame but this kind of stuff happens, if it makes you feel better had 2 cases like that in the past. Both gtx 750 and 950 started dying with similiar symptoms shortly past the warranty period. Current gtx 1080 is fine so far on boost but when I try to push it even a smidge into oc territory it crashes. I'm curious about ps5 but honestly I'd buy only for ffvii remake which will most likely just like ffxv come to pc eventually.

Didn’t even get a day. What’s the bet the 780 will decide to think of new ways to not work when and if it gets put back in. Just like when I first built this, passes all the hardware tests but clearly isn’t working right