News New RTX 4090 Cards Can Access Up to 1200W of Power

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
cause 600w worked out so well so far.

whats a max power draw a PSU can have?

the limit would be the power socket it is connected to. most household circuits (in the US anyway) are 20 amps. at 115v that is ~2300w. that of course assumes the pc is the only thing on the circuit which is unlikely. at the rate nvidia and intel are going, people are going to need dedicated circuits just for their pc.....

Reactions: gg83

Colif

Win 11 Master
They need their own generators, and a fuel source.

the limit would be the power socket it is connected to. most household circuits (in the US anyway) are 20 amps. at 115v that is ~2300w. that of course assumes the pc is the only thing on the circuit which is unlikely. at the rate nvidia and intel are going, people are going to need dedicated circuits just for their pc.....
think i read a post recently where someone has to move his pc out of bedroom as its overloading the circuit. And that is without one of these or future cards... 5090 will use 4 12 pins (note: this isn't real)

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Actually, household circuits have a continuous load rating only 80% of nominal circuit rating. So for a 20A circuit, the maximum continuous load is 16A, which works out to 1920W at 120V. The extra 4A is to allow things like being able to toast stuff while the kettle is also on - the circuit can bear the mild overload for the 2-3-min it takes for toasts to pop and the electric kettle to shut off, then wiring typically has plenty of time to cool of before the next mild-overload use.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
should not be too much longer and i expect we'll start seeing "intel rated psu" vs "amd rated psu" or "this one can actually run an nvidia card"

guess it'll add to the nvidia tax since folks already pay more for comparable performance vs an AMD card. may as well pay more for a psu that can actually run it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Actually, household circuits have a continuous load rating only 80% of nominal circuit rating. So for a 20A circuit, the maximum continuous load is 16A, which works out to 1920W at 120V. The extra 4A is to allow things like being able to toast stuff while the kettle is also on - the circuit can bear the mild overload for the 2-3-min it takes for toasts to pop and the electric kettle to shut off, then wiring typically has plenty of time to cool of before the next mild-overload use.

thanks for the info. always nice to have all the facts. i was happy i knew the circuits were 20 amp at 115v :)

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
This card is for sub zero overclocking. Over 1000 watts has been the norm in this field for years. You would never need both cables plugged in for gaming.

Most US household circuits are 15A which max at 1800W's.

Reactions: shADy81
D

Deleted member 431422

My fuse for the mains socket is 16A, at 240V it's 3840W of hypothetical draw before it trips. I wouldn't want to go near that for prolonged time. The wires are made of aluminium and old.
When changing a socket I learned one of the wires were broken inside the insulation. I had a problem with the fuse tripping occasinally without a reason and couldn't find the cause.
This makes me realize, latest top Intel CPU's and RTX's are not for everyone. With an old electric wiring you can burn the house down.

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
thanks for the info. always nice to have all the facts. i was happy i knew the circuits were 20 amp at 115v :)

Well.... not all circuits are 20A. There was this thing with aluminum wiring... Some circuits are 10A.
Some are even 15A. Standards are not really standard, you know.

I think we've hit peak "stupid". 500W should be an absolute maximum safety/sanity limit for GPUs.
Even that is a bit ridiculous.

cause 600w worked out so well so far.

Most household circuits are 15a. 1725w. Kitchen and bath are 20a.

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Lets focus the discussion on this card.

I don't really know the new flagships. is "Hall of Fame" the equivalent of the "lightning" series from MSI ?
I was the happy owner of 2x 290x Lightning in crossfire, watercooled and all. Beasts !

My fuse for the mains socket is 16A, at 240V it's 3840W of hypothetical draw before it trips. I wouldn't want to go near that for prolonged time. The wires are made of aluminium and old.
When changing a socket I learned one of the wires were broken inside the insulation. I had a problem with the fuse tripping occasinally without a reason and couldn't find the cause.
This makes me realize, latest top Intel CPU's and RTX's are not for everyone. With an old electric wiring you can burn the house down.
Aluminum wiring comes with a much higher risk of fire. IIRC, it's because it heats up more than copper. I'm sure that it's less flexible and prone to cracking too. My house has aluminum 240V wiring, but someone disconnected it at both ends before I bought the house. At some point, I need to run it again for an electric car charger, but that'll need to go to 40A+.

But you don't hook up y our PC to 240V, you hook it up to 120V (or 115V), so halve what you calculated.

Good point. But a lot of homes are 15A, which really drops to 12A for prolonged usage...so lower than anything we've quoted.

None of this really matters of course--extreme overclocking bed should always have a dedicated circuit.

D

Deleted member 14196

lol. I’ve been out of the gpu game for decades now because of this and stuff like this. Power and price are way out of whack