New RX 580 Signal Issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Prominent
Mar 13, 2018
So, I got a new rx 580 from powercolor.

I removed my old 380 and installed the 580, plugging in the 6+2 pin and the 6 pin power connectors.

I boot up the system and start to have issues with the monitor losing signal to the graphics card, as my display shows for 1-2 seconds and then goes black and starts to cycle through my display source options. When it reaches DP in, it stops and says "No signal" and then after 1-2 more seconds the display comes back. This then repeats.

This ONLY happens when I have the GPU selected I believe, as when I boot up the system with a clean DDU use, the system boots with "Microsoft basic render driver" and I can use the system, which is what I'm doing now.

In device manager, the card comes up under "Radeon RX 580 Series" and the fans are currently spinning with the LED on the card being on.

When I took out my 380 I did pop off the PCEI clip but nothing was broken on it and I simply reattached it.

I have read about this being a display port issue and I am using a Acer monitor that supports 144hz and I am using the displayport cable that came with the monitor, having no issues running 144hz on my old 380.

Does anybody have any ideas as to whats wrong? I really just want to be able to use my new card :(

Prominent
Mar 13, 2018
Sorry, don't know anything about how to enable freesync with Nvidia cards, just that it's now possible. Should be some instructions out there if you google for them.
Seems like my monitor has no built in FreeSync and it just works with the software so apparently I could just get the card and enable gsync and it'd work! Sounds good but with the 1660ti coming out, identical to the 1070, I might consider getting a vega 56 if they go cheap enough. I picked up a super cheap 980 today to resell but sadly it has serious screen artefacts, but proves to me that my PC works with other cards than my 380 and I must just be SUPER unlucky with 580's!

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Prominent
Mar 13, 2018
Looks like vega 56 is available right now for £250 whereas a 1660ti is £259.99. I think I'll go with the 56 and bypass all the freesync nonsense, seems to have better FPS and frametimes + may aswell make use of my new 750w PSU!

Reactions: TJ Hooker