[SOLVED] New Ryzen 5900x PC Build Issue: USB device over current status detected

Mar 14, 2021
Hi,

I just built my first PC using the following components:

Ryzen 5900x
Crucial 32GB Ballistix DDR4 3600
Asus Rog CROSSHAIR VIII Hero Motherboard
Phanteks Eclipse P600S Case
Corsair RMx Series 850W PSU
GeForce GTX 1070
WD_Black SN850 2TB Gen4 PCIe

There are a couple of issues that I am facing:

a) The case has USB c port on the front panel and to activate it, I need to connect it to the USB 3.2 Gen 2 port on the motherboard. As soon as i connect it to the motherboard and switch on, I get the error: "USB device over current status detected" and the computer shuts off. No error shows up if I disconnect the cable from the motherboard and restart - the computer works perfectly fine (except ofcourse the front panel USB c). I am trying to understand if this is a Phanteks case issue or a motherboard issue? Both items are within return period but I am not sure what should I return. Please advise.

b) There is a USB C port at the back (the motherboard panel at the back) but that port gives me much slower than anticipated speeds. With my Samsung T5, I usually get 500 MB/s on my other system but on this one, I am only getting under 50 MB/Sec. Is there any BIOS setting that I need to modify to get the right speeds?

Thanks!

Solution
SOLVED ! Well the solution is as weird as the problem. The usb c connection to the motherboard is a perfectly symmetrical port - however, the problem went away when I just reversed the orientation of the cable!!! Should have ideally made no difference but it did.

Hopefully it will help someone else as well.
Hi,

I just built my first PC using the following components:

Ryzen 5900x
Crucial 32GB Ballistix DDR4 3600
Asus Rog CROSSHAIR VIII Hero Motherboard
Phanteks Eclipse P600S Case
Corsair RMx Series 850W PSU
GeForce GTX 1070
WD_Black SN850 2TB Gen4 PCIe

There are a couple of issues that I am facing:

a) The case has USB c port on the front panel and to activate it, I need to connect it to the USB 3.2 Gen 2 port on the motherboard. As soon as i connect it to the motherboard and switch on, I get the error: "USB device over current status detected" and the computer shuts off. No error shows up if I disconnect the cable from the motherboard and restart - the computer works perfectly fine (except ofcourse the front panel USB c). I am trying to understand if this is a Phanteks case issue or a motherboard issue? Both items are within return period but I am not sure what should I return. Please advise.

b) There is a USB C port at the back (the motherboard panel at the back) but that port gives me much slower than anticipated speeds. With my Samsung T5, I usually get 500 MB/s on my other system but on this one, I am only getting under 50 MB/Sec. Is there any BIOS setting that I need to modify to get the right speeds?

Thanks!
Currently there's a problem with USB 3.x on 5900x systems and it's AGESA's fault, AGESA 1202 is supposed to fix it.

Mar 14, 2021
Thanks CountMike and Why_Me.

I have actually not seen the over current status issue mentioned in any of those USB related threads. Even the issues seem to be more centered around USB 2.0 whereas both my issues above are USB 3.1 Gen 2. Wonder if something else is going on in my case.

Reactions: Why_Me
Mar 14, 2021
Thanks...i wonder if there is any way to verify it. If I send the case for replacement, by the time I get the replacement back and test it, the motherboard will be out of return period.

Mar 14, 2021
I discovered something material but will still need guidance from folks more experienced than me here.

I got the new front panel for the case from Phantek. The panel essentially has 4 cables coming out of it - 1 usb 3, 1 usb c, 1 system reset and 1 HD audio. If i just connect the usb c cable to motherboard from one front panel (new or old panel doesn't matter) and keep the other 3 cables connected from the other panel, system boots correctly (no overcurrent issue). The error only comes when all 4 cables from the same panel are connected and it happens with both old panel and new panel. Somehow all 4 cables connected from the same panel leads to the over current status.

Now it could be that when motherboard sees all 4 cables connected from a single device, it sees too much current drawn by a single device and hence flags it as overcurrent state. It does not do this when some cables from panel and the remaining cables from other panel are connected - no single device is pulling the current in that case.

So is this a motherboard issue?

Mar 14, 2021
SOLVED ! Well the solution is as weird as the problem. The usb c connection to the motherboard is a perfectly symmetrical port - however, the problem went away when I just reversed the orientation of the cable!!! Should have ideally made no difference but it did.

Hopefully it will help someone else as well.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution