Question New Ryzen 7 5700X (RAM Compatibility Problem?)

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hello folks,

I have replaced my Ryzen 5 3600XT CPU with a Ryzen 7 5700X CPU on an MSI X570 MPG Gaming Plus. However, the RAM (2 x 8 GB, G. Skill Trident Z Neo) can no longer reach 3200MHz (using an A-XMP profile or by manually selecting 3200MHz and setting 1.35V).

(This is the RAM: https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232852)

Upon start-up, the motherboard DRAM LED stays lit and nothing will display/progress. I then have to power down and short the CMOS pins. At this point, the BIOS sets the RAM back to 2133MHz. The only stable speed seems to be 2933MHz (selected manually from the drop-down list).

Could the new Ryzen 5700X be incompatible with this RAM? AMD’s website claims 3200MHz to be fine.

Any help at all with this one would be appreciated. Thanks!

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
It does sound like a RAM compatibility issue to be honest. Do you have the sticks installed in slots 2 and 4?

Do you have the latest bios?

Thanks for your reply. The RAM sticks are in slot 2 & 4 (DIMMA2 & DIMMB2 as per the manual). I installed MSI Dragon Center, which scanned for the latest BIOS and chipset drivers (I downloaded and installed).

Oh ok just thought I'd check. It appears to be on AMD's QVL list so in theory it's supported but you might have just been unlucky. I have heard of the same RAM kit working with the same CPU on one board but not on another. Unfortunately other than living with the lower speed I don't know what to suggest other than replacing the RAM kit. I don't suppose you have another DDR4 kit you can try?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have had the same thing happen to me a couple times with my ryzen cpu's

most of the time i can boot one stick and set xmp on that one stick. after it runs for a while i then turn it off and add the second stick. usually once it runs one stick at the right speed, the second one works fine. can take a minute to boot up as it does whatever it does at post but eventually it will start up and run fine.

did it to me as well when i went from a 3600x to a 5900x. and the 3600x did it on a new mobo with the same ram that worked fine on the other set-up. just got to play around with it some most of the time.

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Oh ok just thought I'd check. It appears to be on AMD's QVL list so in theory it's supported but you might have just been unlucky. I have heard of the same RAM kit working with the same CPU on one board but not on another. Unfortunately other than living with the lower speed I don't know what to suggest other than replacing the RAM kit. I don't suppose you have another DDR4 kit you can try?

No worries; any troubleshooting tips are appreciated. I'll likely just end up buying a new kit (after some research). I have no spare modules to test. I can't help to wonder if there is a setting I am missing in the BIOS (I'd put myself at a novice level for all the settings).

Thanks!

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
i have had the same thing happen to me a couple times with my ryzen cpu's

most of the time i can boot one stick and set xmp on that one stick. after it runs for a while i then turn it off and add the second stick. usually once it runs one stick at the right speed, the second one works fine. can take a minute to boot up as it does whatever it does at post but eventually it will start up and run fine.

did it to me as well when i went from a 3600x to a 5900x. and the 3600x did it on a new mobo with the same ram that worked fine on the other set-up. just got to play around with it some most of the time.

I may give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!

No worries; any troubleshooting tips are appreciated. I'll likely just end up buying a new kit (after some research). I have no spare modules to test. I can't help to wonder if there is a setting I am missing in the BIOS (I'd put myself at a novice level for all the settings).

Thanks!
I'm surprised it doesn't work actually with those modules and that CPU but Ryzen has historically been more fussy with RAM than Intel. When it's running in XMP, is it applying the correct timings, it's not adjusting them at all? You should have 16-18-18-38 in the bios.

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I'm surprised it doesn't work actually with those modules and that CPU but Ryzen has historically been more fussy with RAM than Intel. When it's running in XMP, is it applying the correct timings, it's not adjusting them at all? You should have 16-18-18-38 in the bios.

Yes, those are the timings that the profile sets (16-18-18-38). It's been a pain; I may troubleshoot a bit more.

Yeah, you can get some really buggy stuff going on. And then spend ages trying to diagnose. Best practice to always do it, regardless.
Yeah, in my case it was my PCI-E 16x slot running in 2x when one of the chipset PCI-E slots was populated. I asked MSI was it sharing the 16 CPU lanes and they said no definitely chipset, resetting the CMOS should fix it. Seemed like nonsense at the time but low an behold it worked.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hey there.

Did you clear CMOS after the bios update? If not, you must do this to be sure that's not the issue. Although the bios is updated, some remnants of microcode can remain unless CMOS is cleared. Simply resetting defaults is not enough.

Thanks for bringing this up; I actually have cleared the CMOS numerous times after the BIOS update (when the DRAM LED stays lit). When the memory is set higher than 2933MHz, the system locks-up with the DRAM LED on and there is no keyboard or mouse power from the I/O panel.

I just ordered 16GB (2 x 8) of Corsair Vengeance Pro SL RGB RAM on Amazon; I'll test this out when it arrives (~ 3 days). It states X570 compatibility:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08SQ31CGF?tag=pcp0f-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Thanks for bringing this up; I actually have cleared the CMOS numerous times after the BIOS update (when the DRAM LED stays lit). When the memory is set higher than 2933MHz, the system locks-up with the DRAM LED on and there is no keyboard or mouse power from the I/O panel.

I just ordered 16GB (2 x 8) of Corsair Vengeance Pro SL RGB RAM on Amazon; I'll test this out when it arrives (~ 3 days). It states X570 compatibility:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08SQ31CGF?tag=pcp0f-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Let us know how that goes