Build Advice New Ryzen 7950X build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sometimes you just have to, IDK, maybe selectively ignore some that sling things at the wall, or at least, some posts. because some people make really good suggestions SOMETIMES, but then other times, totally just throw crap at the walls to see what sticks. AND, there is really no telling when they might go from doing one thing to doing the other. So, I've been TRYING to not be too harsh on that kind of thing, but it still happens, so take everything with some amount of "whatever", or salt, whichever you prefer.

keithth

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Fwiw @Darkbreeze , it can be hard to tell the difference sometimes on the consumer-of-information side, though. And actually distract from the core info. Is the way of the Internet, and has been like that for as long as there's been online communication. For me, that means since early 80s....

I did buy the majority of those parts, fwiw from the x670 build. I spent some time checking things like Nh-D15 cpu cooler clearances(only 2mm to spare in height ... fingers crossed), ram clearances (Noctua says 32mm, ram is 33mm, but fans are movable, or replaceable with 120mm ones) and so on.

The two things not fully resolved in my mind are:
  • While SIMILAR model numbers are on the approved memory list, those exact ones are not. Now I get that the supported ones might be RGB, or have some minor difference. The similar ones didn't seem to have "AMD EXPO" support listed, though. But are rated (at 6400) above the standard memory speed (was it 5200?). Compatibility is one thing, but obviously optimizing for maximum rate is good too. I'm Irish, so who knows?
  • The video card was out of stock. Not being a gamer, I don't fully understand/appreciate the cross-vendor differences. I'd imagine that Nvidia provides a "reference implementation" of the RTX 4060 card, and that the base of each manufacturer product starts with that. And I understand that some might be slightly overclocked, have a different number/types of monitor supported, etc. PC Builder Jason seems to imply that the cards are practically interchangeable. I'd take suggestions for currently in-stock cards.
I didn't ask, but I'm assuming the price point for the PCIe 5.0 NVME SSDs are just unfavorable right now, in comparison to similar capacities with a 4.0 interface. I think for most applications, it might be hard to tell the difference beyond CrystalDiskMark.

The igpu though should allow me to at least get the thing assembled and booting.

Of course, in typical me-fashion, I spent just enough time to miss the favorable pricing from Cyber Monday, which I knew was a risk. I'd rather double-check and pay more though, than order blindly.

Thanks for your help. And everyone else on the thread!

Reactions: Darkbreeze
^ regarding ram speed, i just built my pc with the corsair rams mentioned in my sig. it was £110 on black friday. the EXPO modules were £129. I updated my bios, went in and enabled expo for my "intel XMP" certified rams and it is working at 6000mhz cl30. As simple as that.

Gigabyte card: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kk...rtx-4060-8-gb-video-card-gv-n4060eagle-oc-8gd

Cheapest but MSI: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LK...-gb-video-card-rtx-4060-ventus-2x-white-8g-oc

regarding pcie 5.0 cards? you know the price, you know the performance. Make an executive decision if you want them or not :grin: