[SOLVED] New Ryzen build wont boot, possible overheat

Mar 19, 2019
Hey guys,

Just put together a new pc and can’t get the thing to boot.
CPU: AMD ryzen 2700x
Mobo: asrock B450 Steel Legend
Gfx: AMD Radeon pro wx 3100
Psu: corsair cx650m
Ram: gskill ddr4-2666 8gb x2
Boot drive: samsung 860 evo 1tb

POSTs just fine and windows begins to load but always crashes and reboots at the same point during the splash screen animation. Entered BIOS and its reporting that the CPU temp is 65C while running bios. I tried two new coolers (stock wraith prism and noctua D15s) and reapplying thermal paste on each three times using various amounts and techniques. Each time I removed the cooler I confirmed that I had good coverage. Tried removing one stick of ram and swapping sticks. Tried using an older HDD boot drive out of my old computer to see if it would boot that. For all of these combinations the indicated temp in bios was always right around 60-65C. Used a IR temp gun with the noctua cooler installed to check the temp at the cooler mounting pad and got 31C.

Not really sure what else to try. Any suggestions to just get this thing to boot all the way up would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Good about the ram.

Well, knowing you haven't reinstalled OS is cutting a major corner.

I suggest buying a 7200 sata hdd and install OS from scratch and see how it goes.

Might get away with this situation by booting into safemode and doing a reset. All in all, this is most likely the problem. It's not good to re-use another OS install on different hardware.
Mar 19, 2019
In cpu die, then there's motherboard vrm. Cpu temps in bios can be confusing.

http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8531&title=wrong-temperature-in-bios

I believe youre not overheating. I somehow think it's memory related. Dimm slots used are 2nd & 4th slot from cpu?

Try enable xmp profile for your memory in the bios.

Look at updating bios to the latest revision.

Enabled XMP at the memory spec of 2666mhz, no change. Starting closest to the cpu, dimms are in slots 2 and 4.
Downloaded and installed a bios update with a usb drive. No change.

If it is the ram, is there a good way for me to try running memtest without booting into an OS?

Mar 19, 2019
You did do a fresh install of Windows didn't you? Not reusing a previous install from different hardware?
I’m reusing my old install. I expected a lot of driver issues, but I assumed it would just mean that my sound, LAN, etc. would be not working until I got it booted up and cleaned the old drivers out.
A fresh install isnt really in the cards. I have thousands of dollars worth of software on the old one that I can’t migrate (student editions). Its literally cheaper for me to throw away $1500 worth of brand new computer than it is to wipe the drive.
Any way to remove the old drives using a different computer to access the drive contents? Or does it have to be booted from the drive to properly remove a driver?

By the way, memtest passed with flying colors

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Good about the ram.

Well, knowing you haven't reinstalled OS is cutting a major corner.

I suggest buying a 7200 sata hdd and install OS from scratch and see how it goes.

Might get away with this situation by booting into safemode and doing a reset. All in all, this is most likely the problem. It's not good to re-use another OS install on different hardware.

Reactions: Darth Sicaedus
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Use another computer to download the Windows 10 install and any extra SSD/HDD you have laying around and see if you can even get that far. I personally suspect there is more going on.
Even on "another" install I have never had Windows 10 refuse to boot. It might take a second to revert to some stock drivers and certainly could boot your license...but never seen it refuse to work. Run like crap, yes.

Mar 19, 2019
Well I’m making up an ubuntu live usb. I’ll try to get it to boot that tonight. If that works it will pretty definitively narrow the problem down to the old OS installation. If not, then I’m back to a hardware issue. I’ll keep you posted.

Mar 19, 2019
Ubuntu seems stable running off a flashdrive (not actually installed on the machine). Guess I’ll have to buy windows 10 and see if I can’t find another way to bring in the old programs.

Thanks for the help everyone!

TRENDING THREADS