Nov 19, 2017
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/asnower/saved/9DVrMp This is what I am looking at right now, I would get a used 3060ti for aroun 300 bucks, and buy the rest new.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/asnower/saved/m43VFT This is a build I am considering, the main thing putting me off it is that I'm worried I may be losing out on a lot of performance by not pairing the rx 6800 with a ryzen cpu because it won't be able to use smart access memory. Is it as big a deal as I think it is or should I stick with the 13600k?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/asnower/saved/cXqKqs btw this is the build I am using right now, I want to keep new parts bought around $1000 total. So to clarify I would most likely be carrying over the 750W PSU, 32GB ripjaw RAM, the 660p 1TB storage, and maybe the mobo.

Last edited:
I think I'd go with the i5 13400 / 13400F due to lower TDP. That cpu should run cooler than the unlocked 13600K. btw those cpu's are due for release January 3rd.

Nov 19, 2017
Your case looks like it can handle strong graphics cards.
At least up to what a 750w psu can support properly.
You are good there.

If you undervolt a i5-13600K you are essentially running at the speed of a lesser processor but paying for capability that you will not use.
13th gen is a good idea, 13th gen has better ips so should run better at a given power level.
Big shuriken is also a good choice. There are several models, so research that.
The cooler is not good enough to let any modern processor run to it's full capability.

What is your main use for this pc?
I might think gaming.
If you play fast action games, the graphics card is going to be the limiting factor.
If you play more cpu centric games ,ike mmo, sims, strategy games, then the cpu becomes most important, particularly the single thread performance.
Multiplayer may want many threads.
Normally games will not effectively use more than 6-8 threads.

Nov 19, 2017
Your case looks like it can handle strong graphics cards.
At least up to what a 750w psu can support properly.
You are good there.

If you undervolt a i5-13600K you are essentially running at the speed of a lesser processor but paying for capability that you will not use.
13th gen is a good idea, 13th gen has better ips so should run better at a given power level.
Big shuriken is also a good choice. There are several models, so research that.
The cooler is not good enough to let any modern processor run to it's full capability.

What is your main use for this pc?
I might think gaming.
If you play fast action games, the graphics card is going to be the limiting factor.
If you play more cpu centric games ,ike mmo, sims, strategy games, then the cpu becomes most important, particularly the single thread performance.
Multiplayer may want many threads.
Normally games will not effectively use more than 6-8 threads.
From my understanding most cpus run at a higer voltage than needed to ensure stability, so there is some leeway to undervolt and keep relatively the same performance. But you are still probably right that it will run a bit too hot regardless. I'm still researching what is possible in this build.