Question New SSD not detected on laptop ?

Feb 5, 2021
Hello,

I've recently purchased a new SSD (Samsung EVO960 Pro) for my laptop(Lenovo Legion y520 15ikbn) and installed it in the m.2 slot. However, it is not showing up in either 'this pc', disk management, device manager or bios.

Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise
Bios mode: Legacy
Bios version/date: LENOVO 4KCN27WW, 4/18/2017
SATA Controller Mode: Intel RST Premium (Raid) mode
Storage: 1TB HDD (boot drive), Samsung EVO960 Pro 512GB

When changing to AHCI mode in bios the SSD actually show up in the 'information' tab in bios. However, when trying to boot up it greets me with a BSOD with the stop code: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and reloading indefinitely.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should be on UEFI mode for your BIOS since there's no benefit to having a Legacy/CSM BIOS. You should also be on AHCI for your storage controller and from the looks of it, you will need to reinstall the OS. The next thing I'd ask you to do is update your BIOS.

I've downloaded the bios update file but when running it I encounter this error : "Mount the EFI System Partition fail".
With a quick google search I figured it's because "the laptop is working in legacy mode (MBR partition table). The BIOS update exe can work only in UEFI mode (GPT partition table). " source

So I followed the steps to attempt to convert from MBR to GPT using mbr2gpt in the command line, but I get this error: Cannot find OS partition(s) for disk 0. Another google attempt revealed that this is due to the Recovery Environment being disabled on the machine.

I run the reagentc /enable command and yet another error message comes up: The Windows RE image was not found. Apparently, this is because the file winre.wim is missing or is corrupted. So this is where I'm not exactly sure how to proceed. What I've attempted to do is to use Windows' MediaCreationTool to download a windows 10 version onto a USB drive, reboot the computer from the USB to reinstall Windows 10 Home (there was no Windows 10 Enterprise option which is what my machine is running). When prompted to select a partition to for the installation destination I only see the HDD disk and its partitions. When selecting any of the HDD partitions I get the following error: Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks which brings me back to the problem of converting to GPT.