New SSD shows up in Bios, but not in device manager or disk management

SandMonkey911

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Hello,
I just bought a new SSD and was planning to intall it and then use my free Windows 10 upgrade to install the OS on the SSD.

But I can't get that far because my SSd is not recognized by windows. It doesn't show up in device manager, or disk management, or even the Samsung wizard software.
However it does show up in the Bios as a sata 6Gb/s.
I've tried refreshing, rescanning and nothing works.
Help me haha!
Thanks for your time :)

Solution
If you still have your Win7 installation disk, boot to that and advance thru the install operation to the point where you get to choose which drive to install Win to. See if the SSD shows up. If so, format it in there. Then you can back out of the rest of the installation pgm.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you still have your Win7 installation disk, boot to that and advance thru the install operation to the point where you get to choose which drive to install Win to. See if the SSD shows up. If so, format it in there. Then you can back out of the rest of the installation pgm.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That doesn't make sense. Is it the same way when in safe mode?
Let me get this straight... you have Win7 installed now on your HDD. You have a new formatted SSD also installed, but it doesn't show up in Win File Explorer or Disk Management. And the software that came with the SSD doesn't recognize it either. Am I on the right track so far?

SandMonkey911

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015

Wait no, it works now, never mind. The formating worked! Thanks man