Question New SSD Wont show in Win10

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
This is a new WD SSD. It is recognized in the Bios. I have a raid0 setup with other drives so everything is on that instead of AHCI, but it will use AHCI drivers when in stand alone mode, which all my SSD's are. This is my 3rd SSD to add to this computer.

It shows up in Bios and in the seperate Asus Raid setup it is setup as stand-alone like all other SSD's in my PC.
It will NOT show up in Windows 10 Disk Management, Device Manager, or File Manager. Even when I tried using a Win10 Media CD it won't show that drive as an installation option, though it isn't initialized yet, so.. yeah.

I've tried different ports, different cords, even different power cords. Everything else works fine - power, cords, ports, other drives, regardless of the configuration this one just isn't showing. I flashed my Bios to the latest, I've run Windows Memory Diagnostics, I even swapped it out with the other ssd I bought for the wife which is having exactly the same problem... I am out of ideas completely. Anyone have some thoughts here?

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Partition and format it in the Raid utility.?
It doesn't let me, all I can do in the raid utility is secure delete a drive (which I tried) and to create/edit an array. I don't want this to be part of a raid, it's stand-alone like the other SSD's, but sadly I can't partition it there or anything.

popatim

Titan
Try Create an array and see which types are available. Stand alone maybe an option, if not then use raid1.

Please let us know your systems specs, esp the motherboard & the SSD in question.
Also, There may be sata ports which cannot be put in raid mode on your motherboard.

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Try Create an array and see which types are available. Stand alone maybe an option, if not then use raid1.

Please let us know your systems specs, esp the motherboard & the SSD in question.
Also, There may be sata ports which cannot be put in raid mode on your motherboard.
I can't create an array without 2 or more disks in it, which will format the disks and I definitely don't want to do that. It automatically puts it into Stand-Alone mode

Mobo is Asus M5A97 Plus with bios 0901 (latest). The new SSD is WD Blue, 250gb Sata3. I have a couple WD hdd's in a Raid0 configuration, kingston 120gb for Win10 OS, and an extra OCZ Agility 60GB for a couple games.
I really hate working with raid drivers, though I like Asus' raid0's speeds compared to other mobos, i don't like the lacking interface or buggy integration into windows :(

Think I'll try them in a different computer too just to see if I can partition them, maybe that'll help, but ugh I really would love to just solve this issue and fix whatever is not working right y'know?

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I downloaded ubuntu and not only did it recognize the SSD I also partitioned it for NTFS. I go back into windows and nothing again. It still won't recognize the SSD even though it's now partitioned for NTFS.
This has to be a driver issue right?

So, I don't have any IDE controller things listed in Device Manager, I have only Storage Controllers.
Storage Controllers > AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller
Storage Controllers > Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
When viewing device manager by connection, it shows everything (other than the new SSD) under AMD AHCI Compatible Raid Controller.

I know I sounded like I'm going somewhere with that but I'm not lol - just throwing some info out there and maybe help narrow a solution down.

Edit: Also tried the SSD in another Windows10 computer and it isn't recognizing it, in the disk manager (or device manager), either.

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Ok, I refuse to give up on this. So, other computer I used was also in a raid setup but wasn't using it, so I switched it to AHCI and /fixmbr. Anyway, it recognized the SSD's right away, and I initialized both, put one back in my computer that has to have the raid, and Windows doesn't see it.

So, ok I figured out the problem is Raid Drivers and now I don't know how to solve it.

The SSD is WD Blue 3D NAND 250GB.
The MOBO is M5A97 Plus.
Device Manager> Storage Controllers: AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller > Date: 10/7/2013 | Version: 3.8.1540.14

On a side-note I did try to set them both up as a Raid0 and, though it worked fine in bios and ROM, it didn't show up in windows. My "assumption" is the drivers are just too old or outdated to recognize the newer SSD. I'm not very proficient in Drivers - Help please :D

nexigen

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
True but if I remember right it has only the option for Raid or IDE (nice catch I forgot about that!). Just double-checked and yup, those are the only 2 options when using raid on 1-4. I know IDE is supposed to be a slower version so using it for a fast SSD is counter-intuitive. :(