Question New system 16 gb installed but only 8 usable

rexop5

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
Hello as title says i built a new system and in bios i see 16gb ram but in windows i can use only 8.

What ive tried to troubleshoot:

1. Bios update
  2. removing sticks one by one and they both work as 8 usable in windows.
  3. First close dimm next to the cpu socket causes my windows not to boot and gives a lot of errror(probably that has to be the problem)
  4. Trying my cpu and ram in a different system and they both work fine.
So i think the problem is in CPU socket causing ram not to be readable on windows or the first dimm next to CPU socket causing problems.

anything else i could try to troubleshoot?

PS:When they ship this system first time they told me that glass had been broken and all over the case.I doubt they change mobo,they only told me they changed the CASE and the gpu that im still waiting to arrive.
mobo: Asrock b450m pro4
Specs: Amd ryzen 3 1200
gpu 6570 just for some graphics
ram g.skill ripjaws v 16 gb 3200
disk seagate 500 gb.

Any help is welcome but i think im just gonna return the system for faulty mobo-cpu socket?

https://prnt.sc/sywe3z

Last edited:

rexop5

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
Hello ive built a new system and my problem is that in BIOS it says 16gb installed but in windows only 8 is usable.

What ive tried to troubleshoot:

Tried my cpu-ram in different system and ram works fine.
Biops update in my system.
When i put a stick in first DIMM next to cpu socket my windows dont boot and it causes many errors(i think thats the problem)

So ive come to conclusion that i either have a faulty cpu socket and first dimm slot and mobo cant read 16 gb ram.

what else can i try to troubleshoot?

PS: First time they tried to ship this system the glass broke and went all over the case so big chance went aswell to cpu socket.

a picture of my system https://prnt.sc/sywe3z

General specs
RAM G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB 3200 2x8.
AMD RYZEN 3 1200
GPU RADEON 6570 SERIES(im still waiting for my originally gpu from them)
Asrock b450m pro4
disk seagate 500 gb
psu: corsair vs 550
thx in advance

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
It's unlikely that glass got into the CPU socket with the CPU in. Did you build this or did someone else build this? Your description of events is a bit confusing. If you didn't build this, you should send this whole rig to the prebuilt company and make them deal with the issue. And who is the they with your original GPU? Why does someone else have it?

Also, you don't tell us anything about the RAM that you believe is problematic. Is this one stick? Two? Four times four? Is this a matching set? What are the specs and model? If you only have one stick it's supposed to be in A2 and two sticks, A2 and B2, not the slot closest to the CPU (important to know the manual forward and backwards).

Ziferous

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
That sounds a bit odd. I am not very experienced with memory, so I hope someone else in the community can assist you. I suggest you make sure your RAM sticks are in the right slots (slots 2 and 4 for dual-channel). Slots 1 (Slot 1 is the closest DIMM slot to your CPU) and 3 are usually, from what I have read, heard, and watched, only used for a quad-channel RAM kit. Although, I always recommend reading through your motherboard's manual if you are having trouble with it.

rexop5

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
ram is this G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB 3200 2x8.
They built the system,i only put the CPU-cpu cooler and the disk because i had them.
When they shipped they had the ram sticks in A1 AND A2 instead of A2 AND B2.I didnt realize that and i tried to run XMP from bios.Maybe it has to do with that i dont know.

https://prnt.sc/syxdh2 this is how i have put them now and it doesnt read dual channel

https://prnt.sc/syxfe1

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
It sounds like the RAM slots are bad on the Motherboard. If the RAM works on a different board than it would suggest that the slots are bad in some way... Try running a Mem86 test and see what happens.

rexop5

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
It sounds like the RAM slots are bad on the Motherboard. If the RAM works on a different board than it would suggest that the slots are bad in some way... Try running a Mem86 test and see what happens.
the tests has been made on my brothers PC which also has the same moterboard.
im running now memtest but i dont know if it will help if they were working fine on my brothers PC

rexop5

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
Any chance that it might has to do with this
ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.

Even tho before updating BIOS i also had only 8 gb available but from what i can understand this mobo came with 3xxx series ready and i put first gen ryzen 3 1200 into it and did BIOS update and i probably have wrong compatility?

help pls